Whats a load?

Tom D

Because you don't need a felling license to cut wind blow.

If you don't have a felling license, does the BSL recognise this timber as being sustainable?

I don't know myself, just wondering if anyone does?

Are u part of the BSL?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The facts don't lie!

Take a solid cube of wood and split it in 2, it takes up a bit more room, split it again, yet more room.. Fill a cube box with big logs and weigh it, then do the same with small ones. You'll see!

The big ones take a lot less time to make of course..

But the bigger logs have more air gaps the little ones pack tight together but I do shake my bags

Agreed small logs are a pain in the arse bit I charge a premium for them makes it a bit more palatable

Actually its the exact opposite, the more you split wood the more space it takes up, a cube of big logs will weight a lot more than a cube of kindling.

Yes, if you start with a 1m3 log it would weigh a tonne wet, start with a tonne of small roundwood perfectly stacked and it would occupy 1.5 m3, log it and throw it in a bag and it would be 2m3, Reductio ad absurdum so to speak and throw it through a chipper and it occupies nearly 3 m3.

Smaller logs less air space

Bigger logs more air space

You'd think that, but trust me big logs are denser when loose than small ones.

Its the same for roundwood, an 25 ton arctic load of 2'diameter roundwood will be well short of the top of the bolsters, but the same weight of 6" diameter stuff will go right to the top, the air gaps may be smaller, but there's a lot more of them.

A lot of things are deceptive, take a standard transit tipper with 1' dropsides, the level load volume is 1.9 cube, 2 cube if its heaped a little. That actually looks like a good load and round here that will go for £150... our ifor trailer holds 5.8 cube, 6 if its heaped, but to look at there's no way you'd believe it was 3 transit loads, so even though we are selling it at £360 which is £15 per cube less than the transit load at £150 we struggle to compete with the transit "load"...

You'd think that, but trust me big logs are denser when loose than small ones.

Its the same for roundwood, an 25 ton arctic load of 2'diameter roundwood will be well short of the top of the bolsters, but the same weight of 6" diameter stuff will go right to the top, the air gaps may be smaller, but there's a lot more of them.

Tom, smaller logs do pack tighter so more weight per cube. Even your comment above reflects this, the larger timber needs filled to top of pins to hit max weight, with smaller roundwood the lorry uses less space on trailer to reach maximum weight.

Tom, smaller logs do pack tighter so more weight per cube. Even your comment above reflects this, the larger timber needs filled to top of pins to hit max weight, with smaller roundwood the lorry uses less space on trailer to reach maximum weight.

Read it again.

Look at the timber lorries on the road the ones carrying small sticks are stacked way higher than the ones carrying big logs.

Please can some one weigh some logs to settle this argument!