Mystery softwood identification

Big J

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't know kew did actually do that. good to know if i'm ever really stuck.

this is why i wish i lived in the states as the USDA have an identification service which allows up to 5 samples per year for free.

Cool.

I guess one could always post a sample to a friend in the USA to get it identified...:sneaky2:

not sure i can answer that completely?

there are often differences down at the microscopic and porous level but it's not always possible to differentiate between species in the same genus, there are times where the difference in the species is down to the flowers and leaves with no difference in the wood at all.

if you can not tell exactly what the species is you can usually get it down to the genus.

if it stumps both me and lignatarre (whom i may ask to help if i can't work it out) then i will be sending it to the states with a load of other samples to be put on the wood database so he could send that to be identified as a last resort.

Sounds like a plan... Be fascinated to know the end id.

Can any tree be POSITIVELY identified by a wood sample ? can a sample of Cedar for example differentiate between Cedrus atlantica and Cedrus libani and Cedrus deodara ? Genus perhaps but species as well ? just wondering !!...

As the 7th devil said...

With the 3 cedars you list there's no chance, there timber is identical...but some species of stuff, say elm or oak for example , then some types can be narrowed down at a scientific level. {But again some of them cant...:blushing:}

Always interesting to see how far it can be taken though...

• 2 months later...