Ticks

Two Acres

Get a good pair of fine nosed tweezers - grab the ticks neck close to the skin and pull straight away from the skin. The tick feeding is no problem, it's when they finish and upchuck before detaching or from not removing cleanly that you get infected. I live in the woods and this is several times a day on me, the missus, dog cat etc

Agree, but i am sure you should twist them off or you are in danger of leaving some of their mouth parts in your skin.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, but i am sure you should twist them off or you are in danger of leaving some of their mouth parts in your skin.

Thats what I've been wondering about Marc. I've had a look at the tick remover tools and htey all seem to have a twisting action. I'm off to the vets this afternoon anyway so I'll ask what they have when I'm there :thumbup1:

I used to twist them but I find a straight sharp pull more effective, sometimes twisting will leave the head behind from my experiments. If the head gets left behind just put on some antiseptic, it's not really a problem. The main thing is to grip the neck very tightly so there's no chance of the ticks stomach contents getting into you. I have a mate who got lymes whilst horse riding in the USA in the early 80's, unable to walk since as the doctors were very slow to work out what was up. The medical system is much more turned on nowadays, especially in tick areas.

Touch is the best way of finding ticks on your body, the missus calls them wibblers as they wibble wobble on the skins surface to the touch.

Don't assume they will only be on exposed areas as they do travel, I saw what I thought was a flea on my arm but when looking closer, saw it was a tick moving up my arm - have found one on my nutsack before!

In the gardens around the house, two hours before dusk we release the dinosaurs (hens really but they are supposed to be the closest living relatives to dinosaurs) and they do a most excellent job at clearing ticks, ticks tend to hang on the ends of grasses etc waiting for something to go by and the girls get them first.

If you want a tip on making yourself less attractive to ticks, eat garlic capsules, same with mozzies. Most peoples diets have loads of sugar in them which makes the sweat very attractive to ticks, mozzies, sandflies etc, the garlic helps mask the sweetness.

I used to twist them but I find a straight sharp pull more effective, sometimes twisting will leave the head behind from my experiments. If the head gets left behind just put on some antiseptic, it's not really a problem. The main thing is to grip the neck very tightly so there's no chance of the ticks stomach contents getting into you. I have a mate who got lymes whilst horse riding in the USA in the early 80's, unable to walk since as the doctors were very slow to work out what was up. The medical system is much more turned on nowadays, especially in tick areas.

Touch is the best way of finding ticks on your body, the missus calls them wibblers as they wibble wobble on the skins surface to the touch.

Don't assume they will only be on exposed areas as they do travel, I saw what I thought was a flea on my arm but when looking closer, saw it was a tick moving up my arm - have found one on my nutsack before!

In the gardens around the house, two hours before dusk we release the dinosaurs (hens really but they are supposed to be the closest living relatives to dinosaurs) and they do a most excellent job at clearing ticks, ticks tend to hang on the ends of grasses etc waiting for something to go by and the girls get them first.

If you want a tip on making yourself less attractive to ticks, eat garlic capsules, same with mozzies. Most peoples diets have loads of sugar in them which makes the sweat very attractive to ticks, mozzies, sandflies etc, the garlic helps mask the sweetness.

I've got a horrible picture in my mind Chopper. Your 'dinosaurs' pecking ticks off your garlicky nutsack :lol:

I know quite a few people who've got lunes disease from ticks. I used to think it was rare for it to happen as we used to get them all the time as kids but it's a lot more cooking than you think. I always check for the bulls eye now as it's critical to get there early. The longer you leAve it the worse the outcome will be.