How do deal people asking you for cash in street thanks

mendiplogs

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I limit what I give, had this begging scenario in Southern Italy a lot last year. The African migrants that came for a better life. We drove around in a hire car had crackers and biscuit type food that we gave to what we though was genuine cases.

One rather large lady with huge fat reserves was scrounging outside aldi in Sicily and snubbed her nose at fresh fruit, requested money! She got nowt.

We can create more people to be beggars for a living by giving them too much and money.

The solution above worked for our conscience.

If they do in the face drama or send the scruffy kid for a sympathy vote it fails.

I was lording it up boozing in a pavement bar in Covent Garden a few years back when a big lad with a Geordie accent said from the other side of the rope 'Excuse me mate, could you please give us a pound for a can of drink?'.

I dug out two pound coins and said 'Get yourself a decent can'.

He was polite, honest and didn't say 'lend'.

I had a bit of a crack with him, turns out he was from Jarrow, a decent lad and a grafter (groundworks), but he freely admitted drink had wrecked his life.

There by the grace of God go us....

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I was lording it up boozing in a pavement bar in Covent Garden a few years back when a big lad with a Geordie accent said from the other side of the rope 'Excuse me mate, could you please give us a pound for a can of drink?'.

I dug out two pound coins and said 'Get yourself a decent can'.

He was polite, honest and didn't say 'lend'.

I had a bit of a crack with him, turns out he was from Jarrow, a decent lad and a grafter (groundworks), but he freely admitted drink had wrecked his life.

There by the grace of God go us....

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi mark I do see your point mate thanks for your in put mark👍 Jon

Jon, I find the best approach is to look them square in the eye and say no. This simple answer has always worked for me. On the other hand when traveling by car or truck I maintain no eye contact and concentrate on my driving. I am often astonished how many people here in this country for one reason or another decide to play the part of professional pan handler and work off the sympathy of many people ready and willing to continue to support these people. Once people take this route in life the results are nearly always the same. Still PT Barnum said it best "there's a sucker born every minute". Over a hundred years later he is still right, regrettably.

easy-lift guy

Jon, I find the best approach is to look them square in the eye and say no. This simple answer has always worked for me. On the other hand when traveling by car or truck I maintain no eye contact and concentrate on my driving. I am often astonished how many people here in this country for one reason or another decide to play the part of professional pan handler and work off the sympathy of many people ready and willing to continue to support these people. Once people take this route in life the results are nearly always the same. Still PT Barnum said it best "there's a sucker born every minute". Over a hundred years later he is still right, regrettably.

easy-lift guy

Hi TED thanks very much Jon 👍