Well Pump

NFG

Hi all,

Not really Arb related but have just successfully repaired our well pump as I found the 65uF start capacitor was leaking & got a new one from E-bay - arrived yesterday.

Fitted & tested - pump ran fine (as opposed to single phase buzzing)

Pleased as its quite expensive pump & well water vital once our 8,000 litres in tanks runs out as sometimes we don't get rain for 8 weeks in summer when its scorchio:biggrin:

N

I purchased a pump at great expense for our well. Cue gushing crystal clear water over our flower beds for 20 minutes! Then the well ran dry and took days to refill.

Sold it half price weeks later.:cursing:

Hi

Unfortunately you cant just pump continuously!

Ours is fine so long as we dont pump more than 2-300 litres in one go in July/August otherwise its about 2 metres deep & provides all we need.

N

Hi

Unfortunately you cant just pump continuously!

Ours is fine so long as we dont pump more than 2-300 litres in one go in July/August otherwise its about 2 metres deep & provides all we need.

N

I guess, but I had this dream of endless clean, clear water! I had the rainwater collectors as well, the problem with them was I couldn't get any pressure to irrigate. If you added up all the money I spent on those, hoses, valves etc, plus the pump (€250) it buys a lot of water from SAUR.

Plus those 1000ltr cubes are ugly blighters.

We've got great pressure here anyway. I gave it up as more bother than it's worth.

I guess, but I had this dream of endless clean, clear water! I had the rainwater collectors as well, the problem with them was I couldn't get any pressure to irrigate. If you added up all the money I spent on those, hoses, valves etc, plus the pump (€250) it buys a lot of water from SAUR.

Plus those 1000ltr cubes are ugly blighters.

We've got great pressure here anyway. I gave it up as more bother than it's worth.

Luck of the draw Mick. The farm I grew up on had a well/spring running to the surface that produced crystal clear sweet tasting water at more than 1500 lph, more in the winter. A few miles away the nursery I work for has two boreholes both 100 M deep and 150M appart. One produces 4000 lph the other 100 lph, both so dirty that we have to strip and clean the pump every year. Water level comes up to around 5M below the surface in the second one but once its pumped out it refills at 100 lph

To get a usable pressure from your rain water tanks you probably need to spend several hundred pounds just on a pump and as you say that buys a lot of water.

We have a well and I've bought a hand pump for it. In Winter the water table is so high it nearly overflows. We've also got a big concrete sump that collects all the water off the barn - I've fitted a hand pump to this too and an overflow as I think it was supposed to soak away but doesn't.

We have a well and I've bought a hand pump for it. In Winter the water table is so high it nearly overflows. We've also got a big concrete sump that collects all the water off the barn - I've fitted a hand pump to this too and an overflow as I think it was supposed to soak away but doesn't.

They do overflow at times due to Artesian pressure. This is one we decommissioned a couple of years ago.

image.jpg.0ea25b18fb85f0c3e7bcf1cdefe579ea.jpg