So you want to be a freelance climber do you?

Adam Bourne

Subbed for loads of companies in the UK and everyone works a little different and taking a little bit from everyone to help bring you on as a climber is awesome. I think if you stay in good health you can sub for a good amount of time. not sure i would want to do it full time for forever but at least climb for as long as is possible.

questions regarding health and length as a climber...

Do you stretch before and after work? and when your watching TV in the evening

Do you do another sport as well as tree work so that its not your only exercise i.e. swimming cycling rock climbing etc etc

do you eat well and sleep what hours you need?

are you up to date with current techniques e.g. srt

maybe a sports massage once a month?

I think subbing is really rewarding mentally when all goes well. :thumbup:

In answer to the above. I don't really stretch before or after work unless I have a niggle. I know I should really but for some reason don't.

Outside of work I do Muay Thai when I can. Obviously this helps fitness and strength levels up but I think the most important aspect for me is it gives me a break mentally from everything else that is going on.

I use SRT for access or work positioning. Using the larger muscle groups in the legs has helped with a problem shoulder injury.

I try and eat fairly healthy. Not a lot of bread or carbs but I am not exclusively Paleo. Everything in sensible proportions. On the sleep front I cannot get enough. Love it, so try and get in a decent amount each night.

In answer to the above. I don't really stretch before or after work unless I have a niggle. I know I should really but for some reason don't.

Outside of work I do Muay Thai when I can. Obviously this helps fitness and strength levels up but I think the most important aspect for me is it gives me a break mentally from everything else that is going on.

I use SRT for access or work positioning. Using the larger muscle groups in the legs has helped with a problem shoulder injury.

I try and eat fairly healthy. Not a lot of bread or carbs but I am not exclusively Paleo. Everything in sensible proportions. On the sleep front I cannot get enough. Love it, so try and get in a decent amount each night.

The question wasn't directly at you but sounds like your doing everything right, and as you said in a previous post 10 years subbing... the proof is in the pudding ay :001_smile:

Lower back problems will occur for most climbers no matter how well you look after it knees as well! Standing on spikes with large saws and all the rest of your kit on does put a lot of pressure on your knees and lower back, fact! I don't know many climbers who have retired without a bad back. I'm not saying crippled but defiantly a few niggles which I have myself and I look after myself. What I meant by in my earlier post is that you go to great lengths for little appreciation for your efforts and hard work to get the job done leaving you knackered and a bad back after a slugging it out in the tree or on the ground. As a climber most of your strength comes from your back as well as when you dragging brash or lifting logs. A tree surgeon uses his back more than any other muscle, niggles and injuries will come when we use it so much. If you haven't had a bad back your a shiny gear freak who doesn't like to get stuck in

Lower back problems will occur for most climbers no matter how well you look after it knees as well! Standing on spikes with large saws and all the rest of your kit on does put a lot of pressure on your knees and lower back, fact! I don't know many climbers who have retired without a bad back. I'm not saying crippled but defiantly a few niggles which I have myself and I look after myself. What I meant by in my earlier post is that you go to great lengths for little appreciation for your efforts and hard work to get the job done leaving you knackered and a bad back after a slugging it out in the tree or on the ground. As a climber most of your strength comes from your back as well as when you dragging brash or lifting logs. A tree surgeon uses his back more than any other muscle, niggles and injuries will come when we use it so much. If you haven't had a bad back your a shiny gear freak who doesn't like to get stuck in

Really? Not sure I understand how to relate to that statement. Please explain.

Nothing wrong with getting stuck in.

Buying a hiab, mini loader, (Boxer, Avant etc) will increase you productivity no end in 99% of cases. It will also reduce the risk of a bad back.

The old fashioned handball it out is what does peoples backs in. Innovations in carb are even helping it out like the Arb Trolley or Muck truck.

Think smarter not work harder and as a result you can be more productive.

What I meant by in my earlier post is that you go to great lengths for little appreciation for your efforts and hard work to get the job done

You're obviously working for the wrong people then! I get shown a great deal of appreciation as a rule in various forms, if not I go elsewhere, or the client does, whichever comes first.

You're obviously working for the wrong people then! I get shown a great deal of appreciation as a rule in various forms, if not I go elsewhere, or the client does, whichever comes first.

Not all show don't show no appreciation but there is some. You can't be picky when your a freelance climber work soon drys up if your going to be picky. I accept that not everyone's going to blow smoke out my arse for doing a good job but after showing a companies lead climber up, that's not going to be thanked is is? Imo if your a freelance climber you should be at the top of your game and have made it to this point through experience and progression. All I want is to be paid on time :thumbup::thumbup:

On the subject of backs rich has raised a major point. Using a prussik style of knot opens your body to developing unbalanced by the turning motion. I have regular back massages mainly due to surviving a severe work mishap in a storm about 20 months ago.

Also Steve's right it's about managing Your work position twisting instead to taking a step could be all that's required to reduce the strain from over reaching.