Do students learn any thing?

Theocus

There a many ways of showing an employee has had training, the NPTC is just ONE way.

Last time I looked on the HSE list, chipper ticket wasn't even on the recommended list.

No, the NPTC certs are THE way of PROVING competence! In just the same way, that an MOT PROVES your car is road worthy. (without getting into the realms of splitting hairs over the "only on day of certification" issue)

And at the end of the day, that's what it boils down to... if you re ever prosecuted and have to stand up in court, you must be defensible!

If you have a **** hot training policy, then yeah... that's a step in the right direction towards arse covering..... BUT.... that policy WILL be ripped appart by lawyers and benchmarked against industry standards.

Which are??? NPTCs! (some LANTRA)

Soooooooooooo........ in order to PROVE competency, get certified!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll tell ya the truth, most of the time at college we learn **** all, it is such a doss (well the first year was, i'll see what the second years like in september), i do the work and get the nptc units, i learn more, well more usefull stuff when im working with my cousin and my granddad

No, the NPTC certs are THE way of PROVING competence! In just the same way, that an MOT PROVES your car is road worthy. (without getting into the realms of splitting hairs over the "only on day of certification" issue)

If your car is more than 3 years old and you take it on the road you ARE BREAKING THE LAW, there are no OTHER legal methods of of proving its road worthiness.

The above DOES NOT apply to NPTC.

I really don't feel we do our industry or our selfs any favors by talking about NPTC like its some sort of license.

I get sick of lads coming on site and saying things like, "I'm gonna get my chainsaw licence"............ WTF.

i'll tell ya the truth, most of the time at college we learn **** all, it is such a doss (well the first year was, i'll see what the second years like in september), i do the work and get the nptc units, i learn more, well more usefull stuff when im working with my cousin and my granddad

the point it that not every college is the same , Myercough and merristwood does have a good reputation and a good sylabus that they teach , colege is not for everyone , i did th ten wek course t merrist wood for exactly that reason , alot of the problem is thta colleges are taking on more and more studnets each year to make running courses in arboriculture financially worth while , when i went to merrist wood this was just about to start hapening because they went from basicly being a private college that was on the verge of going under to being a part of guildford college that has now wattered down what they teach .

the bottom line is if you dont feel your learning anything at college then move , dont wait till its to late in the second year to move .

ANY business trading in this country MUST have public liability cover.

Where is this written down, it is the first I have heard.

Most people who own house insurance carry some form of PL, your house insurance covers you for sporting activities so I am covered on my house insurance for shooting so technically dont need the BASC PL insurance I have.

...and there aren't many brokers that can tell you that

The main qualification to carry out a task is experience, tickets are just written proof you have a basic understanding.

agree to an extent, but when it all goes @its up and HSE get involved the first thing they will ask for is records of training, quals, paperwork etc. Any one can say they have loades of "experiance" but it might be the wrong experience and they be totally useless.