Stabilising a decayed chainsaw carving?

Python

So here's my problem.... I've been asked to "save" a chainsaw Carving by my local parish council, the carving is a croc approx 6ft ish and the locals have been oiling him twice a year and as a result externally looks in really good condition...... However! He's made from a pretty hefty lump of sycamore and has turned to mush internally he's too fragile to move at present because as soon as you try to lift/ roll him he starts to fracture and could collapse..... Any suggestions?

I was considering flipping him onto a pallet and packing him in to prevent movement then removing as much of the really squishy stuff as possible applying wood stabiliser, internally bracing and maybe filling with expansion foam?? Then mounting him on a new oak plinth?

Hi I used expanding foam on an Ent that was hollow and cracking badly strapped it up and in went the foam cut it back where it came out the cracks and yrs and yrs later its still there , good luck hope you can save it

Cheers Mark

Hi I used expanding foam on an Ent that was hollow and cracking badly strapped it up and in went the foam cut it back where it came out the cracks and yrs and yrs later its still there , good luck hope you can save it

Cheers Mark

Ok so foam may be an option then...... He's kinda canoe shaped when you flip him so there's not gonna be any pressure issues with it trying to escape I'm gonna frame him internally with mesh and timber and then fill him up

It has often crossed my mind as to how long some carvings will last , especially outdoors , I have seen spalted beech carvings sell for several thousand pounds and wonder if the buyer is aware it will rot away within 5-10 years , others I have seen I know will crack badly ( oak ) ...... re the above crocodile .. I would turn it over and scrape and brush as much loose soft wood as possible out ,let it dry , and then generously apply creosote or other such preservative and then brace if required , when replacing the piece ensure it is raised above ground slightly ( on bricks ) to help its longevity