'Nationally significant' tree crashes into Suffolk homes (RIP Caucasian elm)

Kveldssanger

Well I can't claim to be one of those!

My nitpicking was not about their susceptibility or otherwise to DED, just that zelkova is a Caucasian elm.

Actually the one I admired in Dulwich in the mid 90s went into decline and was pollarded according to Google.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't claim to be one of those!

My nitpicking was not about their susceptibility or otherwise to DED, just that zelkova is a Caucasian elm.

Actually the one I admired in Dulwich in the mid 90s went into decline and was pollarded according to Google.

To be a pedant, the Zelkova isn't an elm, although it's from the same family. Ulmaceae. That's the problem with common names. Elms are Ulmus while the Zelkova is well, Zelkova, a genus of only six species. Very closely related but different.

... used to climb to sit in the 'bowl' before the crown break when I was a lad! We were once sat in it and some Arbs rocked up for a bit of a general climb/admire of her; said they were 'tree surgeons' and I thought to myself, a tree-surgeon, like a surgeon to trees? That's not a real thing, pull the other one!

I like that Eddie, trees span the generations, link us to the past and the future. The day of my grandfather's funeral I went and sat under a row of trees he planted. I remembered him showing them to me when I was a boy, I was impressed then and have been ever since.

Someone wrote a really good post a while back on what resistance actually means, in regard to breeding DED resistant elms as it happens.

Is this the post you are referring to?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/78411-anyway-dodge-elm-disease-2.html

Interesting that the tree which failed was Z.carpinifolia - would explain why it had previously been mis-identified as a hornbeam.

Alec

Really sad news about this one, not far from my mum's house and used to climb to sit in the 'bowl' before the crown break when I was a lad! We were once sat in it and some Arbs rocked up for a bit of a general climb/admire of her; said they were 'tree surgeons' and I thought to myself, a tree-surgeon, like a surgeon to trees? That's not a real thing, pull the other one!

Does anyone know anything about where the timber is going? Or if there will be a feature made of the stump?

You a Beccles lad then Eddie?

I never got the chance to see this tree in the flesh, but AT member 'Forest Imp' kindly passed me this image & blurb about the tree before it failed.

The great Caucasian Elm in WorlinghamThis great tree had a severe trim just over three years ago and has never recovered to its former glory. Before it was lopped by tree surgeons it was almost half as large again as it is now. It was originally planted in the open lands of Worlingham Park many years ago before the road in which it stands (Park Drive) was built and lined with houses. More development has since taken place and the latest, built in the late 1970s was named Hornbeam Close, so called because it was thought for many years that it was a hornbeam.

worlingham.jpg.b872f56be590fd0665eae1c7cc691844.jpg

2133819_fde98c53.jpg.8fd9f11d85c698254cda5f0d7acc57ba.jpg

Hi Timbernut, I was, but live in Leicester now. My family all still live in Beccles though and regularly make trips back, always dragging the Mrs with me to look at the Elm! Could never find too much literature on it though, just folklore! It was a real belter before reduction, but I suppose necessary due to the proximity of the houses and unless I am wrong I'm sure there was a bracket at the base?