Oak Beam prices

Dean Lofthouse

Been browsing thru tbay and putt in search for wood Beams

What rediculous prices they sell for..

One pitch pine beam 12" by 8" x 16ft they are wanting a £1k

These old oak beams anyone else would have thrown on the fire, at £350

I'm getting an alaskan and chopping an old lump of oak I have up in my wood :001_smile:

59765471d51c3_!B(66GQ!Wk(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLl1kKDBKeyGdMJM!_3.jpg.368a25e8e324e5d0cfb48e84b53f006b.jpg

Are they managing to sell them for those pricess?

Seems bloody steep and but then up the road this place that sells log burning stoves sell oak beams around the £250-00 mark.

I've got a fair bit of timber ready for sale but It's bloody hard finding the customers. People ring up looking for wood but they never make it round to actually buy it!!

Are they managing to sell them for those pricess?

Seems bloody steep and but then up the road this place that sells log burning stoves sell oak beams around the £250-00 mark.

I've got a fair bit of timber ready for sale but It's bloody hard finding the customers. People ring up looking for wood but they never make it round to actually buy it!!

You and me both rob. Oak beams do fetch that price, and when there isnt a recession in the building trade they sell very well. I have just been to taunton and bought a log off treemantom to mill a beam out of that will retail for best part of £300. The pitch pine beams reach that price because of their rarity, and TBH those oak beams which are reclaimed are fairly cheap if you ask me. Rob, it takes a year or two two really start selling alot, and because you are chainsawmilling then you either have to plane everything or sell at a slightly lower price as the finish just isnt quite that of a bandsaw. It will pick up though, so hang in there!:001_smile: I find that the fact that it is cornish timber in cornwall helps- the second homers love the romantic thing of being able to tell their knobby dinner guests about it. Same with window boards and kitchen worksurfaces.:001_smile:

£8/cubic foot!!!! Thats amazing. If i have to extract the timber i wont expect to pay unless it is very high value- burr walnut, yew etc. If it is roadside i would offer in the region of 50p/cubic foot. If delivered in then £3-£5 per cubic foot for hardwoods.

You should be dealing with Hoppus feet when buying/ seling roundwoood to a mill too. This is the quarter girth squared (in inches) times 144 divided by the length in feet of the log. Measure the logs circumference in inches halfway down the log, divide by 4, square that, times by the logs length in feet and divide by 144. That gives the hoppus foot volume of the wood. This is really for hardwoods nowadays, as top log diameter tables are available to buy for softwoods from forestry sources.

Good useful equation that tommer, The guy that offered me that has his own timber supply company mainly dealing in reclaimed french oak from barns out there. He also now erects oak framed buildings, supplies woodstoves, into the pellet market so he must be able to make a profit or why offer the price. Someone else said thats a great price and if I have some stuff then I will sell to him. I also sell trunks of various sizes to a woodturner, gives some cash to play with.

£8/cubic foot!!!! Thats amazing. If i have to extract the timber i wont expect to pay unless it is very high value- burr walnut, yew etc. If it is roadside i would offer in the region of 50p/cubic foot. If delivered in then £3-£5 per cubic foot for hardwoods.

You should be dealing with Hoppus feet when buying/ seling roundwoood to a mill too. This is the quarter girth squared (in inches) times 144 divided by the length in feet of the log. Measure the logs circumference in inches halfway down the log, divide by 4, square that, times by the logs length in feet and divide by 144. That gives the hoppus foot volume of the wood. This is really for hardwoods nowadays, as top log diameter tables are available to buy for softwoods from forestry sources.

Yes, its Hoppus feet, they always just call it so many "cube", they gave me £3 a cube last time, for Sycamore, Ash, Cherry and Lime. Collected from my yard and no real come back regarding nails.

I thought they were very fair and from what you say, I think I'm right.