Lynx could return to Northumberland

Darrin Turnbull

Its a nice idea- and I see the logic behind adding a predator back into the food chain to keep everything in balance.

But I can't help thinking id feel sorry for any of these predators lynx/wolfs/bears (add what you will), Everywhere in England is too hemmed in for them to live a truly wild existence and I think they would soon bear (pardon the pun) the blame and be the losers- thinking urban foxes etc, I can see the headlines now- 'walkers attacked by introduced Lynx', These poor animals all need to eat and I reckon a grazing sheep is a far easier target over a deer or badger or whatever. So something else for farmers to have prejudice against..

Just my thoughts.

Scotland, possibly but England no way. I live on Dartmoor- considered one of the wilder parts of England but occasionly I hear people mention re-introduction of wolves or whatever- it would never work. Too many people too little space - unfortunately.

I agree with you . I don't think we have the room.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see them try it though, we have over 250 square miles of forest at keilder the national park across the Pennine way and otterburn ranges I think there's enough room to try... Northumberland is the last true wilderness of England and not quite full of tourists and ramblers yet unless you walk hadrians wall ,Although a lot of sheep to eat as well but there's not to many in the forest and plenty of deer I keep hitting them !

I would like to see them try it though, we have over 250 square miles of forest at keilder the national park across the Pennine way and otterburn ranges I think there's enough room to try... Northumberland is the last true wilderness of England and not quite full of tourists and ramblers yet unless you walk hadrians wall ,Although a lot of sheep to eat as well but there's not to many in the forest and plenty of deer I keep hitting them !

Oh they say that up north too do they- that's exactly what they say about Dartmoor down south! I don't believe either could be considered true wilderness, when both are competing for the title of being the furthest place from a road in England- 4 miles I think it is, a lynx or any predator could easily cover this distance and would come into conflict with traffic,farmers,tourists along the way. I'm afraid i'm a cynic In these matters

anyone who has seen a deer running will know that a lynx would happily choose a field of nice grazing fat lambs instead- and who could blame them. If they were wiped out in the first place they're not going to stand a chance now what with traffic- more intense agriculture and considerably less space altogether than AD700.

Perhaps concentrate on keeping the animals we do still (hedgehog) have. I think we should let sleeping cats lie!