mdvaden

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i need to go there!

Whenever you make it over there, consider a light tripod to put in a daypack in you don't have a hiking partner. Below is one more image. Same tree as in my avatar. It took about 2 minutes for the other man to get in place for the photo, but it sure offers a better size comparison the closer someone can get to the tree or feature.

Have any of you ever sat down and done a rough tally of how inexpensive the trip is?

Plane flight?

Car rental?

Fuel? - it's less here I think.

Rooms? Oct. to June as low as $55 / night

Sr_Issac_C_600.jpg.1a704a188c6ab84451514b4ec8e9f9b2.jpg

Wow - stunning trees over there.. whats the average height??
Near Muir Wood around San Francisco, maybe the 240 foot range. Some big ones, but smaller compared to the far north redwoods near Fortuna, Orick or Crescent City. Humboldt county like Rockefeller Forest reaches like the 300 to 340 foot range. Prairie Creek and Jedediah Smith redwood farther north are in the 200 to 350 foot range. Each of those parks has some trees up to 360 feet, with 379 feet in Redwood National Park near Orick. Each 100 feet is 30.48 meters. I put a feet to meters converter on this page:

Extreme Redwood Dimension w/ Feet to Meters Converter

Fantastic shots.

Maybe we should organise an Arbtalk pilgrimage? With plenty of notice to save up our hard-earnt credit crunch pennies!

Every 2 or 3 together would cut motel rates to as little as $20 per night, reduce fuel and auto rental by 1/2 or more.

Main cost is the plane flight, which is not all that much if you compare rates.

Here's a couple of extra photos. One with the burl is in Prairie Creek redwoods, and the other is our son Michael next to Boy Scout tree on Boy Scout tree trail: Jedediah Smith redwoods.

Boy_Scout_600.jpg.f65bde9802f832437ab50c999a747440.jpg

Lost_2_600.jpg.0fec889a26105b000d20fd4bc0d04b54.jpg

:dito:

Arbtalk week away anyone??

Would be awesome to see a group come out together from your area. It was more local, but an entire Forest Ecology class from the University of Oregon was camping at Prairie Creek redwoods last weekend.

I met a guy in Rockefeller Forest last year. Turns out that he was an arborist from Australia. He camped in his car, which would not be my first choice. But he made a tour of almost all the parks from the Oregon border down to San Francisco.

The redwoods are pretty much an all year thing. Bit of a risk of storms from late October to March. You can hike in the rain, but not storm weather. In two years, storms have not altered my planned schedule from this close, except access down one road - Howland Hill Road - through Jed Smith redwoods. So I parked on the highway and entered one of the other trails from the outside of the park. Only one day of tweaking in 4 years.

I met a guy late last winter for some hiking. He came from Germany. Not an arborist - but just enjoys trees. Sounds like he is returning again this year already, the end of September or October for some more hiking in the coast redwoods.

Edited by mdvaden