Best wood for flooring?

Charles Hey Arborist

£20/m2 is a bit low Probably more in the £28-35/m bracket. It all depends on your board widths and quality, wider prime quality boards will be more expensive than narrower 'character' grade boards. Beech is tough so is Birch and Ash. Ash is less liable to move or split.

Douglas fir makes nice floor boards but they are a bit hard to source in the UK. I would love to put them in our place but I'm not paying the premium for the uber fashionable Dinesen ones from Denmark. It also moves very little in service as opposed to oak or beech.

larch or hornbeam make excellent flooring.

yew looks spectacular if you can find enough.

Imported maple here for the parquet seems to wear well but whether our field and norway would do as well I don't know.

I agree about the yew, when we sent butts for veneer there was an awful lot of knotty tops going to waste and I think the contrasting sapwood and heartwood would look great.

A lot depends on personal taste. Ash would be lighter coloured than oak, beech more red-toned etc. All the suggestions made so far will be hard wearing and durable.

If you still have that milled ash it would come out quite well by now I reckon :001_smile:

Alec

There's some lovely German hornbeam parquet out there. Weissbuche I think.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hartbuche&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=705&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=J006VZz0NNXzaoDcgNAB&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=weissbuche+parkett

Edit: one thing to watch is that the whiter woods can get grimey and grotty pretty fast if the finish wears off.

Edited by wills-mill