Part 2 Big Monterey Pine Fell

Rob D

Second part here! There's another Monterey that had to be felled behind the first - will the brave little Rowan tree survive another direct hit! You'll have to watch to find out. Also it is Martin's (seen in forklift) first day. Final part in a few days.

I do a 'box cut' on one of the big lateral limbs. A mate who's a tree surgeon in Cornwall showed me it. It's good when a limb growing out sideways has so much weight that a normal hinge won't work. You undercut about a third (or less - before saw gets stuck), two side cuts in line with undercut (almost like sapwood cuts but 20%) then top cut again in line with the side cuts (leaving a box of un cut wood). The branch closes on undercut then pops off horozontally. Sometimes you can do the top cut and wait 30 secs hearing the wood crackling and then the branch pops off. In this vid mine aren't that well done but still did the job.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR99R9egfy4&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Monterey Pine Job Martins First Day[/ame]

Oooohhh ! Yr bugger -I invented box hinge cuts ! ;) They are useful -also on the ground when yr felling a heavily leaning small tree that you cant use a normal dogs-tooth cut on.

K

Nice one Khriss they're a really handy cut for super heavy lateral branches - in fact the only cut that would work on some of these. Some of the 'boxes' left were huge.

But notice being the honest soul I am I never took the credit for them!

Good on you for coming up with the idea.