Underpaid for my experience and competence?

Dionysus

I remember this scenario, same happened to me , just give in your notice, then when he gets you in the office on your last day of work ( trying to call your bluff) sting him , demand a whopping pay rise, aim about 30% above what you know the new chap is getting as the next pay rise will be a long time coming, sounds like its time for a change for you anyway, and it's good to get out of your comfort zone, Good luck.

I'd have something else lined up before I did that.

Like everyone says, talk to the boss or just move on. It sounds like you have belief in yourself, maybe if you chat to the boss tell him in the long term you might go self employed, especially if he says he can only justify paying a certain amount.

The raw economics dictate that to make a profit in a service industry those who provide the service MUST bring in more money than the company pays them. BUT remember that 'layer' that the bosses keep has to pay for a lot of things as well as their wages. There are some days when I end up with less than some of my guys after taking off all the overheads.

But enough of that waffle - if you feel you are worth more dont suffer in silence, talk to the boss you might be surprised.

And keep the discussion amicable, who knows what the fuure holds.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was lead climbing paye, I picked my desired rate and sat in the office and refused to leave until I got it. Took about two hours but I got it.

Keep it friendly and about you, your abilities and workload. What other people do is irrelevant.

Good luck

I'd have something else lined up before I did that.

Like everyone says, talk to the boss or just move on. It sounds like you have belief in yourself, maybe if you chat to the boss tell him in the long term you might go self employed, especially if he says he can only justify paying a certain amount.

The raw economics dictate that to make a profit in a service industry those who provide the service MUST bring in more money than the company pays them. BUT remember that 'layer' that the bosses keep has to pay for a lot of things as well as their wages. There are some days when I end up with less than some of my guys after taking off all the overheads.

But enough of that waffle - if you feel you are worth more dont suffer in silence, talk to the boss you might be surprised.

And keep the discussion amicable, who knows what the future holds.

Very sound advice. :thumbup1:

When I was lead climbing paye, I picked my desired rate and sat in the office and refused to leave until I got it. Took about two hours but I got it.

Keep it friendly and about you, your abilities and workload. What other people do is irrelevant.

Good luck

I think id of said ill think about it and if you refused id of given you a verbal or written warning for refusing to go to work. then docked you the 2hrs.

It obviously worked for you dan in that scenario but I'm just shedding the light from the other side.

We all desire greater self worth, its what drives us. Although as a company I've seen the market become much more flooded with lower cost companies. not just the ones with a trailer and a burn site but other companies panicking and reducing rates because they worry about running out of work.

This all has a knock on effect to the "boss" your goal is to get as much as you possibly can and his is to make money. Conflicts always arise i feel when the boss isn't upfront with his employees. A while back one of my now ex employees moaned about being worth more and occasionally a client would say how much the job costs. This for example £350.00 so the employee was assuming i take the £350.00 he gets £100.00 and i profit £250.00. Now anyone who runs a business knows this is untrue and once you deduct, wages, fuel, insurance, time on site, travel, wear and tear and finance on machines there aint a lot left.

The best option is to sit down with your boss, take a note pad and minute your meeting. that way you won't forget what was discussed and you both know what was said. Hopefully he will be able to give you some more money but i thought id just explain the other side.

If you want real money just become a freelance climber. i worked out it was about 180% more profitable because they charge a good whack with very little overheads. maybe insurance if they do some of their own work, saws, possibly a bit of fuel although most use mine, wear and tear and travel fuel is pretty much it.

A bit of a waffle but hopefully it will give you some sort of idea of what your boss might respond with.

Ian

I think id of said ill think about it and if you refused id of given you a verbal or written warning for refusing to go to work. then docked you the 2hrs.

I'm pretty sure docking pay is illegal in most circumstances.

My boss at the time was a mate, we didn't have any contempt for each other, nor did we have the kind of employee-employer trying to shaft each other relationship that seems commonplace Ian.

I also did it out of working hours, after I'd worked the day.

I'm a foreman/team leader/lead climber (whatever it is i am, one of those), with similar experience as yourself and was getting about 90 a day, with a few perks it must be said, and just before xmas, I asked if i could have a chat with boss about the next years work, and I said I would like to "improve in my work, and move up" so to speak.

And HE offered the pay rise, more paid courses and allowing me to give more input in how the company works.

As has been said, keep it friendly, amicable, make it sound that you want to improve yourself and the company, and that you are willing to do a bit extra to make it worth his while giving you more.

All the best whatever happens :thumbup1: