Underpaid for my experience and competence?

Dionysus

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drama queens and pre madonnas don't last long with me 😃

Anybody who is pre madonna is far too old to be climbing :lol: Prima donnas are another matter entirely. :thumbup: Ask your boss why the new guy is worth more than you and if you don't like it tell him. It's no good listening to other people's opinions and fermenting over it.

I'm pretty sure docking pay is illegal in most circumstances.

My boss at the time was a mate, we didn't have any contempt for each other, nor did we have the kind of employee-employer trying to shaft each other relationship that seems commonplace Ian.

I also did it out of working hours, after I'd worked the day.

it depends. but agree on 90% of what your saying. laws are made to protect one or both parties interests. My favourite one ever was a freelancer telling me he was increasing his wage to then send me the months before invoice with the increase. we had a chat about that i was happy to pay from the date he told me but not before. needless to say he's not worked for us again but he's a nice guy and we still get on.

Refusing to work = not working. So technically by law the employer can deduct wage if the person is due to be overpaid without notice.

Also if they refuse and protest it could be classed as industrial action (very slim chance of anyone doing this).

Advice taken from the citizens advice.

There are some laws that don't leave the employer over barrel when the employees refuse to work to gain leverage.

Edited by Ian Flatters
more info

My boss at the time was a mate, we didn't have any contempt for each other, nor did we have the kind of employee-employer trying to shaft each other relationship that seems commonplace Ian.

I would consider anyone refusing to leave my premises until their demands were met was treating me with the utmost contempt.

It might have been best to include this bit in your previous post.

I quote the above because it can be your livelihood so heed but dont take it literally the advice of others.

Some will say the boss knows all and will reward good workers while others say the boss is oblivious to whats going on so you must make him aware.

There is no right answer on what you should do except that if you are unhappy with your working conditions then its up to you to make a change, that will only happen if you speak to the boss, I guess only you can be the judge on what to say.

I would of just laughed at them and got on with what I was doing and left them to it they can waste there own time but not yours.

I would not find someone I have trusted and entered into a working relationship with treating that way at all funny.

Sometimes it's not always about how good a worker you are, it can be about how confident you are communicating with your boss. This can be because you might have a difficult boss, or that you might not be good at negotiating. I used to be quite poor at communicating and negotiating for better pay, even though I was a serious grafter, while others who were better at negotiating and had the gift of the gab would get a better wage, and get all the easy work despite not being good grafters. That sort of thing is a really is a management mistake in judgment, but at the same time its hard for the manager to see sometimes, because the lazy guy who talks the talk, is always kissing their arse. e.g. I would do a really difficult job and not complain or say a word, job done, no problems. Whereas another chap would do a relatively easy job, but make out that it was the hardest thing in the world, and go on about it forever and how incredible a worker they were for completing the job. This usually resulted in me, doing my doing all the hard work, my best for a firm, but not getting the rewards. Eventually I planned long term and built up equipment and set up for myself. Alternatively you could look up the art of negotiating and get a better deal for yourself.