Does this apply to you?

Andy Collins

I hate to say it, but it also comes back to the HASW act too....

You obviously have an obligation to protect your workers, therefore must provide them "where practicable" with relevant protection to ensure their safety...

Arse covering would therefore imply that you do all you can to protect them from possible traffic collision..... hence why high-viz ballistics and t-shirts are becoming more and more widespread.

A strategically placed "Tree Cutting" sign, is unfortunately not good enough these days.

i saw a chap doing some tree cutting the other day with his mate in a pair of short and t shirt stood in the middle of the west bound lane waving a white bit of cloth in one hand and pulling on a bit of old rope in the other trying to get pull over a leylandi towards the main A30 into penzance . not a tree cutting sign to be seen anywhere

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and just to add, whoever says in CH8 or whatever Legislation that we as arborists should work feeding a chipper with traffic approaching from the rear want shooting.

I made my own rule up never to work at the back of a vehicle with the hopper facing traffic for good reason. I was sick of people knocking cones and coming into the work area .

I face the landrover into traffic for our protection, otherwise you have nothing but a traffic cone to save your legs from being amputated at the knee

Another good reason for having the chipper on the front of the mog :001_smile:

but surely having the ticket is better

and hopefully you should know how to set them out properly then

and ................

wher is huck i recon my tenner is safe

A ticket doesn't make you immune from prosecution.

I have the chapter eight booklet, but where the risk is high I always get in a traffic management firm.

That said, I've lost many jobs pricing traffic management in, so with that in mind and if work was short, my mortgage payments come first

Hahaha, I bet there isn't one single street in the country where someone hasn't parked facing the wrong way outside their house :001_smile:

It's a bit like the speeding laws, and the used dipped headlights when raining laws, nobody abides by them

illegale here in nz :001_smile:

Surely we get away with parking on the road most of the time because technically we are l'loading the van' and therefore dont have to put out signs and cones etc.

I,ve just seen a removal truck, with hazards on, on a dual carriageway, no signs or cones.

Again, until they enforce these rules I willn't comply.

I already do above and beyond the call of duty by fitting led beacons, putting out signage and cones