My accident

sean

• 2 weeks later...

25th June

Been a bit quiet here really. There have been quite a few of the 'veterans' leaving and a whole new intake of patients who on the whole are on bed rest so not too many of them out and about. George has finally left also, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, oblivious to it all as usual.

The postponed trip to the sports shop (see previous post) finally took place which meant i could finally buy some new footwear. My feet which are normally a size 10 have swollen so much that i am now looking at size 12's. Being a 6 ft 1 able bodied person I had trouble seeing all the footwear on offer at these establishments due to the shelves reaching to the heavens in order to cram as much stock into the place as possible. Now wheelchair bound I could actually see approximately 5% of the trainers on offer. For the next half an hour i took on the role of Andy in 'Little Britain', craning my neck, pointing a lot saying 'that one, I want that one, that one there, no not that one, I want that one'. The only difference between myself and Andy is that I did not get out of the wheelchair as soon as Susi's back had turned. Shame. So trainers were fetched, 'that one' did not come in my size. 'What about these ones?' Susi asked. 'No they have to be running shoes' I answered. Im sure the assistant thought i was having a laugh at his expense as the look on his face was a little confused. "I know" I said to him. "Its not as if I will be doing any flicking running is it?". Oh how we all laughed. We finally found a style I liked in a size 12 which still came up too bloody small and that was that, call the mission off. And so we walked and wheeled out of the shop clutching a brand new pair of sod all.

I've been into town now, on the bus and everything. That was an experience which unfortunately will have to be repeated at some point. Having waited until everybody had boarded the bus I then had to wait for the driver to get the ramp out so I could get on. Wheeling onto the bus was probably the most self conscious I had ever been. The whole of the lower deck, facing forwards, 40 plus eyes looking at me, the guy in the wheelchair holding everybody up. Parking in my allocated spot proved somewhat problematic as I had to negotiate a myriad of OAP's shopping bags on the floor. I'm sure Mrs Doddery will once again curse me when she gets home to find I've run over and completely ruined her baps. (Snigger snigger).

The problems a wheelchair user had to face quickly became apparent once I had disembarked and I took my first tentative 'steps' into the big wide world. (It's hard to get away from using the vernacular language associated with my legs.). The hospital with its emphasis on wheelchair use quite quickly became a distant memory as I bounced over cobbles, cracks in the pavement, the high curbs, all conspired to shake me to the core, the lack of suspension on the chair increasing the force 10 fold ensuring my fragile bones danced a not so merry dance to the tune of 'shake, rattle and roll'.

We went to look at a bungalow in Bristol a couple of weeks ago with the Occupational Therapists from the unit here who would determine whether it was suitable or not. The property was owned by a spinal charity and it was currently vacant and therefore ours to have for a temporary period. Looking around that property was a massive dose of reality served cold. Everything inside was brand new and specific to a disabled persons needs. The sockets are at wheelchair height, the cupboards had levers which when pulled would open the cupboards and the shelves would descend to a suitable height. The cooker and sink could be adjusted to various heights to suit both able bodied and disabled needs. It was pointed out to Jasper by me that as the sink could be adjusted to his height he could no longer use the excuse of not being tall enough to enable him to do the washing up. On the ball as usual in front of the Occupation Therapists and the lady from the spinal charity he questioned this logic with the words, "Umm I thought the idea was that you had to be independent." I really have no idea where he gets his smart arse genes from. Anyway the bungalow was deemed suitable and we will probably take it. It is not an ideal but at least it is in Bristol and we will see it as the next stage of rehab and give us time to decide what we want to do long term.

This post would not be complete without an unfortunate trouser incident and I know all those who read these posts wait on tenterhooks to find out the level of embarrassment I have reached. Well unlucky because I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of having a laugh at my expense. And anyway there's nothing to tell. Sorry? What's that? Tell them about the wheelie incident instead? Bloody hell can I not have a single post without being laughed at? Okay here we go.

So I finally managed to have my 'stabilisers' raised so I could get up bigger kerbs in assisted. This meant also that I could learn how to do a good wheelie. After only an hour or so I had mastered it. I had a couple of close calls, of course I did but due to the stabilisers still being in situ albeit higher I was saved from falling backwards. In due course I was able to hold a wheelie for any amount of time by holding on to the wheels and making fine adjustments. And so the time had come at last when Dad could show his small son how super cool and down with the kids he was. Alone in my room with Jasper at last I took my opportunity.

"Hey Jasper, look how good I am at wheelies now" I said. As he looked my way I grabbed my wheels to wheelie like I've never wheelie before. The front of the chair came up and completely tipped backwards. My head smashed against the door and I ended up looking at the ceiling, still sat in the chair with my legs in the air. Poor Jasper looked at me with what I can only describe as concern and sheer bloody pity. Before I knew it Susi was at the door. She had been out in the garden rustling up bacon sandwiches along with the wife of another patient. She was half way through cooking some bacon when suddenly she had an urge to come and see if I was alright. Just as she was nearing my room she heard a crash closely followed by an aargh and on looking through my door window saw me propped up against it. Now, this sudden thought to come and see me I can only attribute to a premonition probably based on the fact that she knows what an idiot I can be. Anyway, to cut a humiliating story short, I only suffered a bruised elbow but unfortunately my pride took one hell of a battering as I was hoisted from the floor and dumped unceremoniously back in to my chair. Having enquired if I was ok the only other words of comfort Jasper could muster were "don't do that again Dad". Ok son I will.

image.jpg.e145b58f0dec963466fea0cd48420fe8.jpg

25th June

Been a bit quiet here really. There have been quite a few of the 'veterans' leaving and a whole new intake of patients who on the whole are on bed rest so not too many of them out and about. George has finally left also, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, oblivious to it all as usual.

The postponed trip to the sports shop (see previous post) finally took place which meant i could finally buy some new footwear. My feet which are normally a size 10 have swollen so much that i am now looking at size 12's. Being a 6 ft 1 able bodied person I had trouble seeing all the footwear on offer at these establishments due to the shelves reaching to the heavens in order to cram as much stock into the place as possible. Now wheelchair bound I could actually see approximately 5% of the trainers on offer. For the next half an hour i took on the role of Andy in 'Little Britain', craning my neck, pointing a lot saying 'that one, I want that one, that one there, no not that one, I want that one'. The only difference between myself and Andy is that I did not get out of the wheelchair as soon as Susi's back had turned. Shame. So trainers were fetched, 'that one' did not come in my size. 'What about these ones?' Susi asked. 'No they have to be running shoes' I answered. Im sure the assistant thought i was having a laugh at his expense as the look on his face was a little confused. "I know" I said to him. "Its not as if I will be doing any flicking running is it?". Oh how we all laughed. We finally found a style I liked in a size 12 which still came up too bloody small and that was that, call the mission off. And so we walked and wheeled out of the shop clutching a brand new pair of sod all.

I've been into town now, on the bus and everything. That was an experience which unfortunately will have to be repeated at some point. Having waited until everybody had boarded the bus I then had to wait for the driver to get the ramp out so I could get on. Wheeling onto the bus was probably the most self conscious I had ever been. The whole of the lower deck, facing forwards, 40 plus eyes looking at me, the guy in the wheelchair holding everybody up. Parking in my allocated spot proved somewhat problematic as I had to negotiate a myriad of OAP's shopping bags on the floor. I'm sure Mrs Doddery will once again curse me when she gets home to find I've run over and completely ruined her baps. (Snigger snigger).

The problems a wheelchair user had to face quickly became apparent once I had disembarked and I took my first tentative 'steps' into the big wide world. (It's hard to get away from using the vernacular language associated with my legs.). The hospital with its emphasis on wheelchair use quite quickly became a distant memory as I bounced over cobbles, cracks in the pavement, the high curbs, all conspired to shake me to the core, the lack of suspension on the chair increasing the force 10 fold ensuring my fragile bones danced a not so merry dance to the tune of 'shake, rattle and roll'.

We went to look at a bungalow in Bristol a couple of weeks ago with the Occupational Therapists from the unit here who would determine whether it was suitable or not. The property was owned by a spinal charity and it was currently vacant and therefore ours to have for a temporary period. Looking around that property was a massive dose of reality served cold. Everything inside was brand new and specific to a disabled persons needs. The sockets are at wheelchair height, the cupboards had levers which when pulled would open the cupboards and the shelves would descend to a suitable height. The cooker and sink could be adjusted to various heights to suit both able bodied and disabled needs. It was pointed out to Jasper by me that as the sink could be adjusted to his height he could no longer use the excuse of not being tall enough to enable him to do the washing up. On the ball as usual in front of the Occupation Therapists and the lady from the spinal charity he questioned this logic with the words, "Umm I thought the idea was that you had to be independent." I really have no idea where he gets his smart arse genes from. Anyway the bungalow was deemed suitable and we will probably take it. It is not an ideal but at least it is in Bristol and we will see it as the next stage of rehab and give us time to decide what we want to do long term.

This post would not be complete without an unfortunate trouser incident and I know all those who read these posts wait on tenterhooks to find out the level of embarrassment I have reached. Well unlucky because I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of having a laugh at my expense. And anyway there's nothing to tell. Sorry? What's that? Tell them about the wheelie incident instead? Bloody hell can I not have a single post without being laughed at? Okay here we go.

So I finally managed to have my 'stabilisers' raised so I could get up bigger kerbs in assisted. This meant also that I could learn how to do a good wheelie. After only an hour or so I had mastered it. I had a couple of close calls, of course I did but due to the stabilisers still being in situ albeit higher I was saved from falling backwards. In due course I was able to hold a wheelie for any amount of time by holding on to the wheels and making fine adjustments. And so the time had come at last when Dad could show his small son how super cool and down with the kids he was. Alone in my room with Jasper at last I took my opportunity.

"Hey Jasper, look how good I am at wheelies now" I said. As he looked my way I grabbed my wheels to wheelie like I've never wheelie before. The front of the chair came up and completely tipped backwards. My head smashed against the door and I ended up looking at the ceiling, still sat in the chair with my legs in the air. Poor Jasper looked at me with what I can only describe as concern and sheer bloody pity. Before I knew it Susi was at the door. She had been out in the garden rustling up bacon sandwiches along with the wife of another patient. She was half way through cooking some bacon when suddenly she had an urge to come and see if I was alright. Just as she was nearing my room she heard a crash closely followed by an aargh and on looking through my door window saw me propped up against it. Now, this sudden thought to come and see me I can only attribute to a premonition probably based on the fact that she knows what an idiot I can be. Anyway, to cut a humiliating story short, I only suffered a bruised elbow but unfortunately my pride took one hell of a battering as I was hoisted from the floor and dumped unceremoniously back in to my chair. Having enquired if I was ok the only other words of comfort Jasper could muster were "don't do that again Dad". Ok son I will.

Hi Sean all the best Sean from Sonia Jon