Caggers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. I have this ash that came in firewood I ordered last year - it certainly exceeds the sub 14 inch diameter stock I ordered!! The end in the photo is about 22 to 28 inches across (from memory) but the other end is only about 14 inches. I had a few rings cut of the end but would love to see it planked - would you be interested?

It's in my friends yard at Consett. I can take some pics next week.

Durham-20140716-00580.jpg.094fa77750902802f1b66195f6d59530.jpg

Excellent start to your chainsaw milling. It looks like you have access to some top notch wood, and your technique seems to be refined.

One thing though:

The first log was 1meter by 2.5meters and it was taking 11 minutes each cut

This is a bit too long for an 8ft by average 36" cut. Best guess is depth gauges are too high, or you're not resharpening your chain every three cuts (it does need to be as frequent as that). Could be a combination of the two. I'd expect a cut of that length in oak to take 5-8 minutes, depending on how hard/dry the individual tree is. I'm just trying to save your wrists! :laugh1:

I've got a 5ft 6" diameter elm but (about 8ft at it's widest across the fork) in the yard at the moment that I have to mill but I'm frankly quite scared of. It's going to require putting a straight edge on one side, and that's with a 67" cutting throat!

The last two trees of 36" in have done, oak and beech and 7ft long where all around that 11 minute mark. The beech I milled two years ago was also 11 minute ish.

You have to take the depth gauges down a reasonable amount below normal. I did hundreds of hours of milling with an 088/50" bar combo (single ended, no auxiliary oiler as I didn't find it helped that much). Standard milling rate at nearly full throat width (full width was 42", near full would be 36-40") was 18 inches a minute and never slower than 12 inches a minute. If it's slower than that, somethings wrong - depth gauges, teeth not sharp or air filter. One of those three.

Now double ended milling (whilst it does break components of the Alaskan fairly easily) is a different kettle of fish. Much much quicker - 65" width of cut on sequoia at 3ft/minute. 50-55" width of cut with sweet chestnut, nearly 3ft a minute.

I've got a 5ft 6" diameter elm but (about 8ft at it's widest across the fork) in the yard at the moment that I have to mill but I'm frankly quite scared of. It's going to require putting a straight edge on one side, and that's with a 67" cutting throat!

That's bigger than even I can do - I'm limited to just over 80" throat!

Need some pictures when you do that one.

Alec

Hi my name is Mark I live in county Durham I am a x tree surgeon turned gardener . Bought a Alaskan mill and 084 form ebay I have found this forum really useful solved a lot of problems never done any milling before. First chance for me to use it this Sunday I have a 3meter by 1meter oak trunk to mill I can not wait

Hi mate welcome ROB D YOUR MAN ON ALASKAN thanks Jon