Ego

ClarrieB

If its your job, do it your way.

If it someone else's job, do it their way or walk.

:001_smile:

Quite right, when I left college I was full of stuff I'd been taught, desperate to show the old hands their foolishness. Some things they took on board, mostly they snorted their derision and got on with doing it as they had for years.

There is very little really new in this game. A few gadgets that make life easier, different ropes maybe. I see very little on here that differs fundamentally from what was being done 20 years ago.

Its very fustrating watching someone do something a certain way...or at least I used to find it so. Tried converting people in the past but gave up. By all means question someone why they are doing a technique when you believe there is a better way, but badgering them over it is a waste of time if they don't show an interest straight away. Far better to lead by example..if they see you doing something more efficiently they will eventually be swayed into trying it themselves, unless of course the aforementioned badgering was too much for them, in which case they will stick with their outdated methods out of sheer spite :biggrin:

If you work for someone else it can be their way or the highway, then it's decision time.

I am not hugely experienced and on my jobs welcome suggestions, which I may choose to ignore but I will explain why. When I work for others I like to question their methods to learn and have mine challenged or discounted with reasons why.

My only sticking point is when someone or me questions safety and then a bit more explanation is required.

Arbtalk is generally a brilliant source of information , help and good ideas. Its proved to me there is genuine good folk out there doing good work they care about.

Admittedly my general impression of the industry was more cocky wannabe all action hero that walks around their imaginary football size testes. They do exist but you can choose to be disinterested in them. Somehow I seem to have a special face or something that generally makes people even half my age explain pedantic things, which I know twice as much as them about.

Sometimes I have fun with it and play thicker.

Arbtalk is generally a brilliant source of information , help and good ideas. Its proved to me there is genuine good folk out there doing good work they care about.

Admittedly my general impression of the industry was more cocky wannabe all action hero that walks around their imaginary football size testes. They do exist but you can choose to be disinterested in them. Somehow I seem to have a special face or something that generally makes people even half my age explain pedantic things, which I know twice as much as them about.

Sometimes I have fun with it and play thicker.

:lol::thumbup:

So nobody can show me how to split wood with an axe!

I had been splitting wood for the farm house since my father showed me how to do it when I was about ten half a century ago. Of course using grandfather's old Elwell axe and a log block in the traditional way.

Since coming on to the Arbtalk site I have learned the car tyre trick together with a Fiskars X27 and my log splitting is now a joy.

Old (log) dog, new tricks! And thank you Arbtalk.

After an accident I had to stop climbing. Started climbing again years later. A lot of things have changed -there are a lot of beautiful and useful thing nowadays to make a climbers life eassier (climbing lines, lighter spurs and things like the zigzag -either you like them or you don't).

The jobs don't change and the way you have to do them stay the same. The new things that are around make doing the job less heavy on your body! And that's a very good thing!

Never been happier to get back in work I love to do. Don't know everything, but love to learn every day!

Ah yes, forgot one important thing... There did not use to be something like arbtalk... Makes life a lot eassier. If you want information or peoples oppinion you just post on arbtalk and you have a whole thinktank a the tip of your thump.