quad forwarder

David oakman

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some designs that i have saved for building my quad trailer :001_cool:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGfa1QH5cdU]YouTube - ATV LOG CRANE VAHVA JUSSI 320[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-9dqfQucM]YouTube - En tur i skogen[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWkqwlPDxcY]YouTube - yamaha 3/08[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfLQf9bCPbU]YouTube - Atv log crane[/ame]

i recon with all the bits, axles, suspension (i want a fast tow) swivel hitch metal and tyres it will still cost about £600 to build my own, but im quite specific as to what i want, tandem swinging axles, fast tow, under 750kg so i think i have tracked down all the bits i need

i would start a fresh rather than trying to make good that base, quad trailers are great if you keep them in proportion to the quad so you can get into tight access areas between trees etc.

if your gonna keep the trailer that width you would be better off having a small tractor or 4x4 on the front, also there would be alot of nose weight when fully loaded due to the legth between axle and hitch. the drawbar being an A frame rather than single tube would also restrict the turning ability if the hitch on the quad sits tight to the back axle between the wheels.

i would take axlec cables and hitch and buy a few quids worth of box section steel and make from scratch.........get yourself a project on the go!!

Gawd it’s a piece of filth, I know you got it for free but lets take stock, its a flimsy rusty frame with suspension that’s had it’s day sat on a couple of skinny (perished sidewall?) tyres that probably aren’t load rated much more than a ton. Chuck a couple of bolsters on it and go for it. It will do for a while......

Or

Start by binning the superstructure and fabricate a new one with a spine and bolsters man enough for the job. If that’s a beam axle you will need to cut it to narrow the track to something more suitable for following a quad. “If” the brakes work you might want to consider protecting those cables with a strong conduit otherwise they are going to get ripped off, otherwise bin them.

Or

Start from scratch pukka wheels and tyres are £60.00 and hubs are about £20.00 each add a bit of steel and you have your ideal garage sized project There are plenty of parts suppliers, here is an example. Trailers for sale, Trailer Parts, Car trailers, Boat and bike trailers, used trailers. Trailer hire, parts and spares and towbars, Hampshire UK Trailertek

Whichever you go for it looks like a fun project

Andy

i recon with all the bits, axles, suspension (i want a fast tow) swivel hitch metal and tyres it will still cost about £600 to build my own, but im quite specific as to what i want, tandem swinging axles, fast tow, under 750kg so i think i have tracked down all the bits i need

fast tow" & "swinging axles" are not compatible in law, if you have "swinging axles" the law states you cannot go above 20mph

that is why high speed (>20mph) agricultural trailers have beam axels or independent suspension and cheep low speed (<20mph) agricultural trailers have "swinging axles" AKA walking beam with axel stubs. #

# don’t confuse HGV type walking beam like Hendrickson's with agricultural type walking beam ;)