2014 660 chain brake almost impossible to engage

Hats

I had the same with mine, about 2008 model.

Exhaust heat used to affect the plastic.

It sorted itself out after a month or two.

It was dangerous because the temptation was to push the brake forward with your right hand to make it engage, which is a very bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi mark if you ring STIHL up they will fix it on your saw they offerd me that on a old 660 like yours thanks Jon

• 2 weeks later...

If he handle melts you have a number of issues, a plastic that melts at too low a temperature, a handle that should have steel reinforcement where it gets hot and exhaust gasses that can rise on to the handle when in a deep cut.

Having said that, I have seen some of the maintenance or lack of it :001_rolleyes: that you give your saws safety systems.

I reckon one in ten Ms200Ts I get in have a decent chain catcher in place and one in twenty actually have a clean chain brake mechanism!

The last one had trashed clutch springs but what does that matter, the chain brake stops the chain spinning - the only issue is the clutch catches the clutch drum all the time and builds up heat that melts the cover.......:thumbdown:

Had to mill out the damaged plastic with a carbide burr:001_rolleyes:

Friend of mine had the same problem the other day but only when it gets hot, it's fine when completely cold. The issue is shoddy plastic/lack of heat shielding from the exhaust. Common fault with all the 660's I've used