Hitch ascender or lockjack ?

reidy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cmon bro-theve gotta get here so that puts the price up and that includes gst. and also the market is a lot smaller so the margins have got to be a bit bigger. i used to think the kit was substantially marked up but after seeing the marging involved i now can understand why stuff is more expensive- we are trying to change it though! and now back to the thread..............

I use a vt on a hitchclimber and also use a lock jack. To be honest id say that i use the hitchclimber alot more than the lockjack,not really sure why ithink i just find that u can make alot more adjustments and fine tuning on a vt. The lockjack is a very good piece of kit though and is very smooth and quick when you get used to it. They can be a bit jumpy on wet ropes though. Ive had no issues with the cams either. Both of these work even better with a rope guide!!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have a decent photo of the set up for a ART Lock Jack Twin used for the SHORT arm pull? Has anyone used this method in ascent? Is it worth it? Like the long arm pull but can only imagine the short arm set up is for branch walking with this rather unforgiving yet interesting piece of engineering!

Just inherited an ART lockjack twin. Just for the record am I assuming correctly the following:

1) rope with spliced loops are no good.

2) you have to feed both ends of rope through after throw line installation (time consuming if using long ropes).

Now I'm 100% for innovation and development in climbing but just can't see how the lock jack saves that much time if you do have to feed rope right through? Long ascents are few with working tree surgeons who use long extension ladders. The concept is great but the limitations of not being able to use spliced ends and having to feed rope through just turns me off a bit. Any comments?

Desperately seeking good innovation!

i have tried the VT and did not get on with it , i prefer the Lock Jack by far , the thing i found with the lock jack is that ut takes a few days to get used to if propperly and having a quick play in a tree with one will not give you chance to try it out propperly and see just how it can make your climbing easyer and quicker however i have found it to be totally useless without an ART frictio saver

Try use a knut with your hitch climber.

I have found the same with the v.t, prob down to wraps, friction line dia & construction to be fair.

I use a L.J alot with the a.r.t friction saver witch i like lots exept on wet days as it is a real basterd to get any continuatiy on friction with it on wet rope 'on or off decent!' these times i move back to the knut & h.c. most of all give all options a fair go if you can get your hands on em. everyone climbs different.