Children riding bikes on pavements

Darrin Turnbull

Police apology after girl stopped from riding on pavement

14 minutes ago

A police force has apologised after one of its officers told a four-year-old girl she could not ride her bike on the pavement.

Sophie was going to school in Grantham with her dad, only to be left in tears after being told she was breaking the law.

Simon Spark reports.

Read more

Grantham girl, 4, gets cycling-on-path police warning

BBC News - Police apology after girl stopped from riding on pavement

In Germany kids under eight must ride on the pavements.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being about 8 and riding on the pavement. The village I lived in had a narrow60mph main rd through it. Which is now a stupid 30mph with about half the traffic these days.

But the neighbour who was a sergeant in the police didn't half ball at me one day

Took it like a man, was upset but no tears.

So at what age is it not acceptable to ride on a pavement?

As I understand it it is ileagal full stop but surely common sense should prevail . Would you let your little girl ride her bike ( with stabilizers it seems ) on a busy main road or on the pavement ? Although sticking to the letter of the law the copper was a knob .

Adults riding on the pavements, especially in busy areas are a PITA, and I do my best to force them off and onto the road if I'm walking along. However, common sense has clearly gone out of the window with this bobby. Great to see kids riding bikes and having exercise, and I really don't think there are many adults out there who'd be too pissed off at seeing little kids riding along on the pavement. In fact, it should be an offence for kids of a young age to be on the roads at all IMO, especially unsupervised.

Maybe you should drive everywhere like in America

Please Darrin, spare the masses of asses here:confused1:. Laws with regard to riding a bicycle with a helmet, can't remember the last time I ever heard of a kid receiving a ticket much less a warning from the Police for being in violation!

How about the idiots that will play chicken with other people on bicycle paths riding against the flow of traffic while going the wrong direction:thumbdown:

" yield or die", comes to mind:sneaky2: I could give out citations all day long, would not matter a hill of beans. Kids on bikes for the majority of the time

know everything, I mean nothing and their parents or family know Twice as much. Police have bigger fish to fry, and on Fridays their really busy!

Rant over

easy-lift guy