rat problem

Breezeblock

I use the common style trap but I find tying them to something with fencing wire is key as if you catch but don't kill they run off with the trap! I use a little piece of carrot pushed onto the spike works as they have to mess with it which normally sets the trap off.

There clever buggers though and if you don't get them first time they soon learn danger so that's when the gun comes out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't shoot thru the coop as its 10mm mesh i don't think my aim is that good and i can do without rebounds i think i will change to spring traps and nail them onto a board and bait them with peanut butter cheers chaps i used to be good at catching them but i think I've lost the knack I've also hung the feeder up higher to make them look a bit harder for other foods

Put the bait into a bit of old stocking after its been left outside to remove any scent, peanut butter does well, hair trigger your traps with a file if they don't go off easily, & pour boiling water over them & cover in soil for a few days after a kill if the are steel traps.

You need to make sure the approach to the trap optimises the clean kill, & don't place them up close to the rat holes.

I use tunnel traps , been very productive for me .

Best and safest way, you can make them yourself from plywood, but what ever you do, do not set them on rat runs, they wont go near them. I forget the teminology for it., but a professional pest controller will tell you.

I used plastic bait boxes last year, 30 in total, it was that bad, kept changing type of poison. Never had problems with the dogs and dead rats and there are seven dogs living on the farm.

I also kept taking chicken food away at night.

I had a similar problem, rats wouldn't go near the traps. Made one after seeing a video on the tube. It's an axle suspended over a bin filled with water. You smear it with peanut butter and when they walk onto the axle it spins, ratty falls in and drowns. Bagged loads this way. Gets mice too. Do a search on YouTube.