Tetanus Vaccination is for life, not just for School!

Katie at FoxMedics

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Friday 5.55pm when cutting some up some broken pallets I put a nail through my boot sole and into foot, fair bit of blood. I thought about tetanus and rang my GP surgery, who were just finishing for weekend. Last booster was 1999 they said, you need it every 10 years. Fair play, I was told we will stay open and come straight down, 3 miles away , and within 20 mins I had had wound cleaned, dressed and right for tetanus for another 10 years. I am 48 and my age wasnt relevant it appears. Doing the jobs we do where there is risk of a puncture wound or cut, we must have a booster every 10 years. God bless the Welsh NHS and our local doctors surgery.

Edited by harrythecat178

I have never heard of anyone having tetanus , has anyone known some one to have it ?

An aunt of mine had lockjaw (which I think is the same thing) about 10 yrs ago. It was a serious do, several weeks in hospital, and quite a number of months for recovery, some of the time in hospital was in intensive care and she was seriously ill.

Was put down to a wee scrape she got while gardening!

If only they could "moderate" the intensity of the lock jaw infection and issue time release, lock jaw inducing pills. Would come in handy to occasionally issue a pill to shut people up when I want some peace in this mad house!

That sounds like a post from an angry man who sat down at the computer when he should possibly have stayed away from it!

Katie, going to your GP and asking for a booster isn't good practice. If you had 3x as a baby then one at 5 then one at 15, that's all you need unless you injure yourself. Fine to phone your GP and find out if you have had five. If you have, the answer is you don't need a routine one, so you will be refused and waste your trip.

Tetanus is a big issue amongst i.v. drug abusers but not amongst arborists who are generally over protected and we often see bad reactions to over dosing on tetanus.

hope this helps!

According to the Mayo clinic a tentus shot can last up to 10 years and a booster should be admistered every 5 years there after. With the number of injuries and at times the cavelier attitudes and or opinions of some members on this site, commen sence should carry the day which should include keeping track of this simple and affective means of preventing a really horrible death from occurring.

easy-lift guy