YouTube, music and copyright - how do you do yours?

kentjames

The rules are simple, copyright music is not OK to use legally. . .Playing in the background or wired right into the foreground, it's illegal. Changing the speed or pitch of it, illegal, and also lame.

It's the internet age, everyone hopes to be able to get everything for nothing.

Your videos, by the way, are the best I've seen. Informative, quirky, fun and entertaining.

But do tell, when you strap a camera to a piece and then freefall it 20 metres or so, how many cameras do you wreck?

And how did you manage to take 4 tops out simultaneously or was there video trickery involved?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the internet age, everyone hopes to be able to get everything for nothing.

Your videos, by the way, are the best I've seen. Informative, quirky, fun and entertaining.

But do tell, when you strap a camera to a piece and then freefall it 20 metres or so, how many cameras do you wreck?

And how did you manage to take 4 tops out simultaneously or was there video trickery involved?

Haha, thanks, no trickery. 4 climbers.

I actually broke my first GoPro today, no joke. Very bummed to have lost THAT shot.

I have always been good at anticipating crush zones.

If I wasn't, then I suppose I might not be qualified for the work really.

Ive got about 160 tree vids on youtube, James. Probably only a handful have been totally blocked. Others get restricted viewing in certain countries. I even had one blocked for a couple of years, and then get reinstated. After you upload a video with a copyright song, hit the video manager tab and it'll tell you if there's restrictions on it. Normally you have to acknowledge you've used third party content and then thats it. They put ads on your video and stuff, but thats not a big deal.

If you've signed up to that youtube deal where you get revenue per click, I dont know what happens then.

I had a few movies muted in the past for copyright reasons, then randomly reinstated again. Likewise I have a few that you tube let the music play but the ad revenue goes to the copyright holder instead of me. Very few if any tree videos are likely to ever go viral so wouldn't let the loss of ad revenue out you off from using a tune

True all above ^ 99% of mainstream music can be used without a total block but often music is restricted to also not play on certain mobile devices. Which can be very limiting to who can watch it since most people just have phones.

Also, I have seen many times where YouTube says that a song is blocked in one country, for example, Germany, but then later I get messages from, Canada, UK, Ireland, etc., pretty much everywhere outside the USA, people saying it's blocked for them.

Also, again, not that we care that much, but, just so you know, the fine print legality on using copyrighted music is that it's illegal without permission even though different artists and recording companies allow people to "steal" its use.

If we ever got Trump Rich, then they probably would exercise their right to fine us. But for now they just put a link to Amazon or iTunes so that Joe consumer who hears the "stolen" version might go buy it.