Transit Thefts

TGB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if a quick release mechanism for the battery would work, like a bike saddle. If it took you a matter of a minute to pop bonnet, place battery and close up terminals, would that be acceptable and tolerable over time. Admittedly this wouldn't be feasible at every time you turn engine off too go the shop etc, but overnight it may work. The next step would be that if you identify that someone has been in van, another plan would be needed, but for the first attempt it may deter. If they have to pop bonnet, then do key process etc it adds more time involved in theft. Whilst its understandable that the time taken to do such things in the morning will consume time and consequently money a period of a few years this would result in equating to the same cost of excess etc, possibly.

Just a thought like folks.

Any opinion?

I wonder if a quick release mechanism for the battery would work, like a bike saddle. If it took you a matter of a minute to pop bonnet, place battery and close up terminals, would that be acceptable and tolerable over time. Admittedly this wouldn't be feasible at every time you turn engine off too go the shop etc, but overnight it may work. The next step would be that if you identify that someone has been in van, another plan would be needed, but for the first attempt it may deter. If they have to pop bonnet, then do key process etc it adds more time involved in theft. Whilst its understandable that the time taken to do such things in the morning will consume time and consequently money a period of a few years this would result in equating to the same cost of excess etc, possibly.

Just a thought like folks.

Any opinion?

I had quick release battery terminals on my mini pickup.. So yes, they are available for peanuts. Good shout JB.

mk6 transit, not sure about others - maybe the door locks could be changed for these

Ford Transit, Custom, Connect Drivers Door Upgrade Locks- Transit Hykee Lock Upgrade- Garrison Locks

also loom guards behind the barn doors to stop the loom being cut. Apparently the remote key signal can also be 'cloned' somehow by theives, but security companies are now offering a (claimed) modification to prevent the wireless key remote signal being hacked. I've only spent about £25 on the loom guards so far for my MK6, but after reading this thread about the Tibbe lock I am starting to worry a bit, maybe the £80 lock per side replacement is worth it. Plus whatever cost the remote signal mod is.

I gather the MK6 also has a weak spot on the quarter light / mirror. But if a cable was cut there and there were deadlocks on the doors they couldn't take the whole vehicle (without smashing the window presumably).

So maybe it's £400 ish I need to spend.

Can sympathise with that bloke who was jailed a few years ago when he shot intruders on his farm - regardless of their troubled upbringing etc my (possibly a bit nasty) view is genuinely in favour of eliminating anyone caught in the act of breaking into a van. No excuse for taking someones livelihood. Burn a few thieves at the stake on prime time TV as a deterrent. No, that's not fair, a quick painless removal is appropriate.

Edited by tree-fancier123

I think the best punishment is to start branding criminals on their forehead what they did. If you knew you'd have thief or rapist or whatever for the world to see for the rest of your days you wouldn't break any laws then

good idea, gives them a second chance, although if you let them live they may be so bitter about the disfigurement they go do something even worse, no haven't got a clue really, people spend their whole careers trying to understand the criminal mind, must be interesting, perhaps in the future they will just alter the embryo