Re Chain sharpener

Chipperclown

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have found the stihl metal guides which you clip the file into to be really easy to use. You can tell it's flat by looking from each side because the length of the steel gives plenty of reference. Once you have set the angle you can look down the gap at the tooth and check you keep it the same. If you really struggle with doing the opposite sides the same, invest in a vice which hangs over the end of a workbench by a good bit and you can flip the saw upside down and do both sides of the chain the same way.

I don't profess to be good but I get an edge which gives pleasing results for me after a little practice. I now find I am getting quicker and better at getting all cutters the same length through a chains life.

Perhaps I'm a bit odd? But I quite enjoy hand aharpening chains. I can take as much or as little off as I like, and find it quite straightforward to get the angles right. I use the stihl sharpening kits, only £10 or £12 and I have 3 different kits for various chain sizes. I also tend to use oregon chains which have a witness mark, so helps to maintain the right angle. It's not easy to start with, but I was lucky enough to have a very good tutor when I did CS30/31. The only time I hate it is when I'm on a job, doing a 28" bar in a stump vice! At home in the workshop, stick it in a vice and it's easy. Wasn't to start with, but became so with practice.