can someone buy me one of these please

se7enthdevil

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

We are putting together a press release with steve bullman at the moment regarding our SC101 Table Saw - including a time-limited substantial discount for Arbtalk members. We have posted several videos on our website of the SC101 performing a variety of tasks - SAFELY!! We have a whole page dedicated to safety and have spent thousands of pounds and years of design time trying to keep you guys whole. Under no circumstances should you operate these types of machine without a riving knife - there are very strict safety standards relating to riving knives so it's not a case of finding something that looks the part and bolting it on. We cannot stop people putting themselves and others at risk but we have tried to offer an alternative. All feedback welcome. John - silverclaw.eu

Steve if you want to resaw why not get a bandsaw?

It may not be as fast but takes up little workshop floor space and can do numerous other tasks. Never been a fan of resawing on the circular saw as things can turn ugly if there is much tension in the wood.

your right beau i'd happily have either but band resaws seem more expensive.

it would be for cutting quarters of trees in to planks. i would also use it for resawing old dry stock which you really need a tct blade to do the work, a sleeper is being cut up in the vid and i buy old baulks of wood that are up to 12" and wish to turn them in to planks.

jon the saw, that saw you have only cuts 9" max and i want something that has a bigger capacity.

those 32" saws should do up to 13" which on quarters of oak would give lovely q sawn boards.

your right beau i'd happily have either but band resaws seem more expensive.

it would be for cutting quarters of trees in to planks. i would also use it for resawing old dry stock which you really need a tct blade to do the work, a sleeper is being cut up in the vid and i buy old baulks of wood that are up to 12" and wish to turn them in to planks.

jon the saw, that saw you have only cuts 9" max and i want something that has a bigger capacity.

those 32" saws should do up to 13" which on quarters of oak would give lovely q sawn boards.

Wasn't suggesting a dedicated band-resaw just a good workshop band saw. I use an old Wadkin which can take 11" under the guides and with a new blade can happily do that. Cost £200+restoration. Blade wise just use a 1/2" 3 skip blade. Sure if it's day in day out something more purposeful might be better but if only now and again should be fine.

This walnut veneer was cut on it.

DSC00368.jpg.c40bdc69cf00b52a0eb7a18169a8f911.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

I can't really see what the Silverclaw offers over a bench rip saw.

A 32" rip saw has a larger capacity of cut, is far more solid looking and takes up a third of the space.

And yes there are certain safety advantages, and for untrained non professional use it does look a lot safer. But big rip saws, when used by a trained operative are no more dangerous than any other machine in the workshop.

Bringing the timber back passed the blade after the cut is dangerous in my eyes, so easy for the blade to pick it up and chuck back at you. I'm sure you have tested it extensively I just don't like the idea, and that is just my opinion and I'm a sceptical git.

Also it looks time consuming to use, make cut, bring it back passed the blade, remove waste, reset timber, set clamps, make second cut...... it just seems a little drawn out for my liking. Time is money and I could cut 3 times as much in the same time on my rip saw.

But then it is aimed at non professional users I guess so the safety wise it does mean you are far away from the blade and the danger area is covered. And a good design, I assume it all folds down for ease of transport?

I think there is a market for it somewhere. I think you just need to try to get the price down a bit. You can get a Woodland bandsaw mill for under half the price which does the same job with a bigger width of cut

I don't mean to be negative, I know I sound it but you asked for opinions.... just my thoughts......

Edited by Stompy

I can't really see what the Silverclaw offers over a bench rip saw.

A 32" rip saw has a larger capacity of cut, is far more solid looking and takes up a third of the space.

And yes there are certain safety advantages, and for untrained non professional use it does look a lot safer. But big rip saws, when used by a trained operative are no more dangerous than any other machine in the workshop.

Bringing the timber back passed the blade after the cut is dangerous in my eyes, so easy for the blade to pick it up and chuck back at you. I'm sure you have tested it extensively I just don't like the idea, and that is just my opinion and I'm a sceptical git.

Also it looks time consuming to use, make cut, bring it back passed the blade, remove waste, reset timber, set clamps, make second cut...... it just seems a little drawn out for my liking. Time is money and I could cut 3 times as much in the same time on my rip saw.

But then it is aimed at non professional users I guess so the safety wise it does mean you are far away from the blade and the danger area is covered. And a good design, I assume it all folds down for ease of transport?

I think there is a market for it somewhere. I think you just need to try to get the price down a bit. You can get a Woodland bandsaw mill for under half the price which does the same job with a bigger width of cut

I don't mean to be negative, I know I sound it but you asked for opinions.... just my thoughts......

i have to agree with that, they are also much cheaper. any saw or big machinery like this you just need common sense rather than loads of guards.