Greenmech cs100 blade angles.

Bob The Dog

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this, but they still came back at the wrong angles..... Clearly thought they knew best? Also, how many sharpens can these take before they are too small? Does it matter if they are ground over the bolt holes?

Oops to the first bit.

Re the second bit I'd say you're governed by the adjustment in the anvil: once it's at the limit the gap is set by the amount of metal left on the blades. Take off too much and the gap becomes irrevocably too wide. Time for new blades.

Well, I fitted the new rotatech blades from Saturn Knives this morning, fired it up and offered in a length of conifer branch a good 3 1/2 - 4 inches in diameter. I wasn't prepared for what was to come next! I was nearly dragged in myself! It chips really well now, but you do have to be the manual stress control for it. Had a huge smile on my face because the machine is now doing what I thought it would do, and what it had never done before. So, here's what I found:

The new blades were ground to 10 degrees on the back angle instead of 15 degrees. The manual says 10 so that must be right.

When setting the clearances between the anvil and the blade, I found that on the old blades, the part passing closest to the anvil (0.5mm gap) was the top part of the blade where the 27 degree grind starts. The cutting edge of the blade was actually further away, so the first part of the blade to make contact with the wood would not be the edge of the blade (hope that makes sense!).

The edge of the new blades sit within 0.5mm of the anvil, with clearance along the ground angle, so the edge catches first.

I'm considering buying some shims to fit under the original blades and hope that will raise them up and the cutting edge will be in the correct position. Failing that, I'll just get another new set from Saturn.

Having spoken to Greenmech tech guy again this morning, he was satisfied that the blade could be ground into the bolt holes, but not too far so as to leave the bolt heads exposed.

Hope this helps and makes sense!

Glad you have got it sorted Bob The Dog. Got my blades back today after being re-ground to the correct angles. Will find out if they work when its time to change the blades over. The anvil does lower quite a way down so shouldn't need a shim after just 1-2 grinds. Does make you feel relived when the machine works as its supposed to rather than having to force everything through.

Ross.