Beech tree removal at Eleanor Rigby's Resting place.

Barry_Skyland

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Wondering why would it be better with the rigging anchor point below mine? It should always be above the climbing line incase it fails?

Less likely to fail if it's on thicker timber.

I'd be wary of using a single triple action crab for your anchor too.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less likely to fail if it's on thicker timber.

I'd be wary of using a single triple action crab for your anchor too.

Cheers Joe, yes I know what you mean about thicker pieces but if it fails and your above it your going with it, if the rigging anchor is above mine and fails there is more of a chance I will stay in the tree. This is how we was taught, I wonder if its changed in the teaching process?

I've rigged huge pieces of small anchors and there's never been a problem so far :)

Have you had a bad experience with a hitch climber pulley? I used to use a pinto but now I use this, its rated to 30kN sides and 15kN up and down so I figure it will be more than enough?

Cheers Joe, yes I know what you mean about thicker pieces but if it fails and your above it your going with it, if the rigging anchor is above mine and fails there is more of a chance I will stay in the tree. This is how we was taught, I wonder if its changed in the teaching process?

I've rigged huge pieces of small anchors and there's never been a problem so far :)

Have you had a bad experience with a hitch climber pulley? I used to use a pinto but now I use this, its rated to 30kN sides and 15kN up and down so I figure it will be more than enough?

Wary, why Joe?

I hear ya. To be honest I keep my rigging and anchor points on seperate stems where possible. I guess if you're not rigging huge lumps it doesn't matter so much. When I'm rigging bigger stuff though my rigging point is always far enough below my anchor that there's no chance of it snapping.

I'd be wary of using a triple action crab for my tip because of the possibility of it rubbing open against branches or the stem. The pulley doesn't matter much at all, more the connection.

Personally I use a pulley saver which Mr Shutler spliced for me, with a pinto rig, but if you're not bothered about it being retrievable you could just splice some tenex onto a pinto pulley (most other pulleys aren't designed to be used with textiles).

Another option would be a pinto rig and maillon, but then there's the issue of steel vs. ali wear.

Bloody hell it's a minefield!

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply, don't agree with you on the rigging but heyho we all have our certain ways mate. I could only rig of one stem as that's alls was left. About the crab, this is the reason we have to use three way crabs so they don't rub undone. There's no way that's coming undone and moving out the pulley, no way. But I'm with you on the pulleysaver, them or the rope guide are a better way to do it, once we have the rope guide instock I will be having one :) The way I climb is a simple, safe,cheap and frictionless, it can't be retrieved but if your removing the tree then it comes down with you as you dismantle the tree.

Anyway good seeing your point of view and making me think, cheers mate.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App