Investment?

hamdogg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I'm not the only one suggesting 3 years at University.

Times have changed, back when I was job hunting, a university degree wasn't the be all and end all. Grafting long hours and putting away a dollop of cash was possible and then making sure you got best return was what it was about.

Heck, back in my 20s, we had a 9% interest rate!

Now you can't fry burgers without having a degree:001_rolleyes:

Times have changed, back when I was job hunting, a university degree wasn't the be all and end all. Grafting long hours and putting away a dollop of cash was possible and then making sure you got best return was what it was about.

Heck, back in my 20s, we had a 9% interest rate!

Now you can't fry burgers without having a degree:001_rolleyes:

Never a truer word spoken.

Anyone looking to take on a mortgage would be well advised to keep a fair chunk of immediately available cash - probably a months worth of expeses on zero notice and the rest (at least a coulple of months) can be on short notice.

I would not advise bricks and mortar or any other illiquid investment in this case nor are equities suitable since you may put yourself in a "distressed sale" position - having to sell when you need to and not when you choose to.

I personally went through the Unit trust / Investment Trust / OIEC phase before settling on individual high yield shares, most groupled investments charge a lot for very little but you can discount most of the charges via online brokers.

Individual shares are for money you can afford to lose not money you may well need.

Never forget the first rule of financial planning - Trust no one in a suit or tie!

Cheers

mac

Invest it in your own education and training. Best return you'll ever get. Unlike most other investments, an education is the one thing you can never lose and no-one can ever take from you.

True to a point but you cant teach intelligence and business acumen, its either in you or its not. Many a school dropout has done well , Branson is one. There are also plenty of egg heads with brains the size of a planet that live in filthy squats. I know some wealthy property developers that can barely read and write that could buy most of us with their small change.

Bob