Justifying a big saw.

Hotrod81

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who needs to justify buying saws, I have a Stihl 009, 346XP, 357XP, 181SE and also a 066 and just cut my own firewood for a small stove!

I usually use saws I have in for service to cut my wood so.........who needs justification - reckon the whole lot only cost me £400 but were wrecks when I got them and are now worth substantially more!

How about buying an older large saw - I have a 280CD available - 80cc:sneaky2::lol:

Not really sure what to do. The 461 does handle the big stuff but doing it often surely can't be that good for it. If I buy a new one I'll never have to get shot of it cos I have 2 wood burners in the house and a pretty endless supply of big wood if needed. (In laws own a wood on top of a windy hill). Was probably trying to find out what everyone else would use for that size timber. 461 still has a year on warranty so not letting spud have it yet anyway.

If you have access to a lot of 3-5' butts then it's a no brainer for me. Yes the 660 will pull 36" all day long but give me a load of 4' to ring up and it wouldn't even come out of the van. There is a vast difference between the 660 and 880 and for the sake of an extra £200 when you're spending that sort of money on a new saw it's again a done deal.

If you're doing day to day arb then the 880 will probably spend most of it's life gathering dust whereas the 660 is more versatile, good @ 36" and a beast @ 25" and a hell of a lot lighter.

If you plan to do any milling again it's got to be the 880.

Also if you're used to sharpening 36" 3/8 then 48" .404 is only 11 more cutters.

For the record I'm not anti Husky, I have 346, 550 and 372 which are good and used to have 357 and 385 until I was relieved of them:thumbdown:

Regards,

Steve.

If you have access to a lot of 3-5' butts then it's a no brainer for me. Yes the 660 will pull 36" all day long but give me a load of 4' to ring up and it wouldn't even come out of the van. There is a vast difference between the 660 and 880 and for the sake of an extra £200 when you're spending that sort of money on a new saw it's again a done deal.

If you're doing day to day arb then the 880 will probably spend most of it's life gathering dust whereas the 660 is more versatile, good @ 36" and a beast @ 25" and a hell of a lot lighter.

If you plan to do any milling again it's got to be the 880.

Also if you're used to sharpening 36" 3/8 then 48" .404 is only 11 more cutters.

For the record I'm not anti Husky, I have 346, 550 and 372 which are good and used to have 357 and 385 until I was relieved of them:thumbdown:

Regards,

Steve.

Have you used an 880 all day?