Justifying a big saw.

Hotrod81

The trouble with cutting up big butts with a big bar is, if you hit something you've a hell of a lot of sharpening to do. Stick with 28" or 30" bar, whichever model of saw you use.

Yeah that would be the plan 28/30. Takes long enough to sharpen 25"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for the 661 then if the 064 vibes gave you grief the 660 is pretty much the same saw.

I agree. Get the 395 if you just have to have a new saw. You may also consider letting spud give the 461 a tickle and then put a 30" bar on it.

Definitely won't be getting an 880! A 660/1 would be a big investment considering I have a full time job and the firewood is a rather time consuming second job. Have to be sure that it would be justifiable

To be honest if you have a 461 I would make do wit that and see how the next season pans out.

The only way you will speed it up is a processor more coin.

I've got white finger pretty bad from riding motor bikes in all weather and using big impact wrenches all day for a decade and I don't notice any difference in the vibes using the 660 over a 461/ 362 /261

You shouldn't have to justify buying a piece of equipment you need- you either need one or you don't.

As others have said- big wood= big saw.

For what it's worth we run 22" bars on our 66 and 32" on the 88's for day to day use.

It's a bit different if it's a full time thing.

He is just doing it part time to see if it's for him.

The 880 is a pig.

Great when you need a big saw, but it's hell to use till you're settled in the cut.

The 660 is a fantastic saw, but sluggish with a 36" in hardwood IMO. I should get a 30 for mine really, it flies with a 25.

Can't comment on the big Huskys, but I like the sound of the 395.

Running any saw at max bar length all day is like driving a Transit tipper at 85 everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk