Safety - say it like it is...

Safety Steve

Well, unless the entire population is horribly sick and injured, you have health.

Unless the entire population is grievously endangered everywhere they tread, you have safety.

'coures, it has been known for 'health and safety' to be confused with petty bureaucracy.

Is possible that it is petty bureaucracy that Mull is missing, rather than safety..... or health?

Sigh😊

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The H&S thing is bollocks! On Monday I fitted a pump on a food production plant.... Rush job:001_rolleyes:..... They didn't want to have to tanker the waste away. I got there, got them up and running, no work permit required ( funny how H&S goes out the window when things are tits up)all good.:thumbup1:

Today, we've been kicked off site for not having the work permit signed off.

Glad I'm changing things.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

"Don't bother with the permit" says they.

"Stuff that for a ***** " says I

Consider this...

Food industry.

Norfolk.

Contractor in to do maintenance.

Permit to work bodge followed by equipment isolation failure.

IPE - Heinz fined after engineer has hand sliced off

Who gets to loose the hand?

Who gets to spend "two weeks in hospital and undergo eight separate operations on the stump".

Who is now "unable to drive, work or even carry out many day to day activities".

Me? I glad to be intact, and I deary hope that my kids, and my friends kids, get to live their lives in a world where they can spend their entire working lives intact as well.

Edited by Mat

The HSE requirements are quite reasonable in terms of RAMS . Its all gone wrong with individual companies interpretation and ass covering policies that ride off the back of it. We had a situation where a company we were contracting too had a problem with one of the tractor drivers certificates because the did not "recognise" it. After a lengthy argument with the site foreman a phone call was made to the HSE who explained to him that all they required of any company in the respect of machine drivers is they have had formal training. In theory your own companies certificates of in house training should be adequate .That is the bottom line,the rest is nothing to do with HSE but the interpretation within independant H&S outfits or companies . This carry on is not the way HSE intended things to be.

Bob

The HSE requirements are quite reasonable in terms of RAMS . Its all gone wrong with individual companies interpretation and ass covering policies that ride off the back of it. We had a situation where a company we were contracting too had a problem with one of the tractor drivers certificates because the did not "recognise" it. After a lengthy argument with the site foreman a phone call was made to the HSE who explained to him that all they required of any company in the respect of machine drivers is they have had formal training. In theory your own companies certificates of in house training should be adequate .That is the bottom line,the rest is nothing to do with HSE but the interpretation within independant H&S outfits or companies . This carry on is not the way HSE intended things to be.

Bob

Spot on!! :thumbup1:

Mat,

I will not (nor cannot) argue with that account.

Howerver to digress (at least apparently)

We had a very very good (despite my yawning apprehension) "lone Working/lone worker" training session a couple of weeks ago.

Presented by a W.H. who spends most of his time briefing briefs, in respect of claims against employers, or indeed probably in respect of advising claimants also.

He absolutly knew his stuff, and presented it most clearly.

BUT

What struck me was the number of times he put his fingers to his temples and said

"THINK" this, your brain, is the most powerful tool you possess to ensure your own safety.

Iffen that "engineer" hadda "thought" about the risk/hazard, he would NOT have stuck his hand into a guillotine, without first ensuring the power was properly LOCKED off, or the mechanism mechanically immobilized.

An electrical engineer, who worked on construction sites once told me that despite what anyone told him about cables not being "live" he habitually shorted them to Earth, just to be sure.

Bob

Exactly!!

Will "the organisation" listen to such reasonable arguments.

Answer NO!

they rather spend others tax dollars on "laying-off" the risk on an outside organization, as opposed to making safe reasoned pragmatic decisions themselves.

That would imply they were actually responsible for goodness sake.