How to start up advertising

amd250

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my former life as a happy self employed pauper I tried a combination of the above (for an unrelated industry).

Flyers are good, but I wouldn't trust a postie to deliver them 'on the sly' as it's probably a sackable offence so he'll just take your money and bin the lot in the nearest wheelie bin.

Although I've used vistaprint with no regrets. Having said that if you can strike up a good relationship with a local print shop with a keen young graphic designer you'll get better looking (unique) results. Negotiate, impress upon them you want to form a working relationship and ask for a competitive price.

I've worked for myself and had to resort to knocking doors to get work in the past. Whilst I agree that this is now frowned upon and I HATE people disturbing me at home to offer to buy or sell things, this worked.

Maybe it's how you come across. Stand back from the door, smile and look professional. If it's elderly people be even more considerate and perhaps just hand them the leaflet, introduce yourself by name and explain you're available for work should they need it.

There are so many scrap collectors, burglars, con artists, ****** etc out there now that I wouldn't want to use this approach nowadays. However done politely at a sociable hour, with a sign written van, company branded clothing and an introduction by name ( supported by driving licence, certificates etc) I think it could be done.

If anyone here wants any advice on marketing, I'll happily give free advice, although I can't offer guaranteed results!

Mr D, you're fairly local so if you want to rack my minuscule brain, feel free.

Bit harsh??

Not harsh in the slightest, the bloke is a con artist, great with his words and can make you his friend in minutes, I left a month before he went bust and so glad I did, his name is dirt In the industry and I know so many people that would like to meet him walking down a dark ally. Did he tell you that's not his stump grinder to sell?

I'm just starting up on my own after nearly 3 years of subbing out. So far I have got some business cards, a website, sign written Navara, (will have a sign written trailer when it is finished), a stack of business cards in my local village shop, and in the local independent garden center/nursery, adverts on several free places on the internet and a Facebook page.

I'm thinking of having some flyers made. Does anyone else have any suggestions to how I can get some more enquries.

Thanks

I'm just starting up on my own after nearly 3 years of subbing out. So far I have got some business cards, a website, sign written Navara, (will have a sign written trailer when it is finished), a stack of business cards in my local village shop, and in the local independent garden center/nursery, adverts on several free places on the internet and a Facebook page.

I'm thinking of having some flyers made. Does anyone else have any suggestions to how I can get some more enquries.

Thanks

It's hard mate, harder than I thought 2.5 years ago! I think there's work out there it's just getting your name amongst it!! Check out cheapprintsonline for your flyers! Cheapest I have found