riding the crane hook into the tree

Rowden the cowboy

Just a guess but could it be to do with loler? If the crane is lifting a person would it need a 6 monthly rather than 12monthly inspection? Plus the hook would become part of the climbing system and does not have a 3 way gate. It wold be possible for the rope to slip foo the hook if you got caught on a branch.

I still do it though.

good point: most cranes are loler inspected (thorough examination) every 6 months for the very reason that they will be used to 'lift any person' using a man rider bucket/cage. You will also find that some fork-lifts (usually every 12 months) are subject to a thorough examination every 6 as they 2 are sometimes configured/ used with a 'man cage'. The safety factors also change for example a fork lift with a 1t swl whilst lifting goods will (4 arguments sake) be reduced to 400kg (5 men) all of the relevent configuration info must be clearly displayed on both the fork lift & the man cage. I'd also presume that modern cranes have the facility 2 alter their warning buzzers & inhibitors for when they are used with a man rider. If i get some time i'll speak to some crane operators/ operations mangers 2 find out some more.

When ive been in man riders the cage has been secured to the hook but there has allways been a backup much like what our friend from NZ described securing via mallions or similar. Crane hooks are only a snap gate & on these grounds i would say it is bad practice & even if you were to attach above the hook like in NZ this would not prevent the snap gate hook from cliping onto a limb, i'm sure we've all had this happen with an accessory crab (whilst in leylandii usually) & it can be a real pain in the ass; one of my loler clients told me he even had to get his groundy 2 come and free him on one occasion.:blushing:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point: most cranes are loler inspected (thorough examination) every 6 months for the very reason that they will be used to 'lift any person' using a man rider bucket/cage. You will also find that some fork-lifts (usually every 12 months) are subject to a thorough examination every 6 as they 2 are sometimes configured/ used with a 'man cage'. The safety factors also change for example a fork lift with a 1t swl whilst lifting goods will (4 arguments sake) be reduced to 400kg (5 men) all of the relevent configuration info must be clearly displayed on both the fork lift & the man cage. I'd also presume that modern cranes have the facility 2 alter their warning buzzers & inhibitors for when they are used with a man rider. If i get some time i'll speak to some crane operators/ operations mangers 2 find out some more.

When ive been in man riders the cage has been secured to the hook but there has allways been a backup much like what our friend from NZ described securing via mallions or similar. Crane hooks are only a snap gate & on these grounds i would say it is bad practice & even if you were to attach above the hook like in NZ this would not prevent the snap gate hook from cliping onto a limb, i'm sure we've all had this happen with an accessory crab (whilst in leylandii usually) & it can be a real pain in the ass; one of my loler clients told me he even had to get his groundy 2 come and free him on one occasion.:blushing:

the lifting hook of the crane is in fact not meann to come into contact with the tree at any time , this is why if i get a lift on the end of a crane i make sure the snap gate of the lifting hook is secured so that it will not open and i make sure the cran hook in at least 15 foot above the tree as i can make my way down into the trees crown using my climbing line and back up line , surely if it was dangerous to do such things then the cane companies would not use man baskets either ??

If a lifting machine is on yearly examinations is it legal to use it for man lifting during the first 6 months?:confused1:

NO it is not legal, the type of inspection (6months, 12months, EC, IAWES or FEAA) must be stated by law on the thorough examination certificate/ report.

Certain factors that are significant (fail or cat B fail) on a 6month(PPE) inspection may not be significant on a 12month.

living the dream LOL!

http://Image065.jpg

carefull there that hook on the 50 ton crane your cambium is in may break even tho its tested by lloyds or similar !! if there is a risk of the cranes hook breaking or any part of the system then the risk of the branches we anchor on to in a tree have just got ten thousand times more likely , crane opperators are just as bound over by hse as us in fact probably more so . if it was not safe then the crane driver should not allow it . but the fact that cranes legaly are allowed to use man baskets would suggest different .

carefull there that hook on the 50 ton crane your cambium is in may break even tho its tested by lloyds or similar !! if there is a risk of the cranes hook breaking or any part of the system then the risk of the branches we anchor on to in a tree have just got ten thousand times more likely , crane opperators are just as bound over by hse as us in fact probably more so . if it was not safe then the crane driver should not allow it . but the fact that cranes legaly are allowed to use man baskets would suggest different .

I do think he has forgot his saw ?

K