Climbers disciplined for refusing tree

sawmonkey220

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deserves recognition? Why? We cut trees

And Bumble B

Not talking about individual recognition I am talking about the industry recognition in general.

Like I have already made clear, tree work is just another day in the office we are nothing more than urban foresters. Yet it still takes a solid skill base to undertake the more difficult aspects of this job.

If you really think we are nothing more than unskilled gardeners hanging from a rope then nothing I am going to say will change that.

Why do people say stuff like "raise the profile of the industry" to what end?

If you want a difficult tree dismantled you don't phone a bricklayer do you?

And why the hell do think we "deserve recognition" if you want plaudits become an actor or something.

I do a job, I get paid (rather well as it goes)

As far as rates of pay goes, you get what you get, don't like it, get another job..

(In reply to Marc btw)

I think you misunderstand me I realised a long time ago no one is impressed or really gives a crap about the job I do, other than those within the industry. Who may be intrested.

I am not foolish enough to think low rates of pay among some of those in our industry is exploitation either it's just simple economics like you said you get what you get. At the same time I would like to see the economics of tree work improve, but alas it seems most of us never did so well in school and Maths is not our strong point :001_smile:

But again sadden by the response here towards my hopes of this becoming an improving industry

I think you misunderstand me I realised a long time ago no one is impressed or really gives a crap about the job I do, other than those within the industry. Who may be intrested.

I am not foolish enough to think low rates of pay among some of those in our industry is exploitation either it's just simple economics like you said you get what you get. At the same time I would like to see the economics of tree work improve, but alas it seems most of us never did so well in school and Maths is not our strong point :001_smile:

But again sadden by the response here towards my hopes of this becoming an improving industry

I heartily agree, but the biggest issue is that most of joe public just think we're gardeners in trees. The benefits of trees in the urban environment are poorly acknowledged or recognized, even by planners.

Property developers only start to appreciate what the arboriculturist brings to the table, when development is prevented and the arb finds the solutions.

Yeah, all we do is climb and cut branches, but like the mechanic who adjusts a carburettor, the cost is not in turning a screw, but knowing which one and how much.

If this thread will stand another "outsider" (who btw is NOT happy once his feet leave the ground) comment.

Simply because I am afraid of heights, IF I ever work at height I am particularly careful, I get less done mind.

I still AM absolutly in awe of the young guy (Honnold?) "free solo" climbing btw, BUT he makes it look easy, wherein lies the key, he is on top of his job/cannot understand why others see it as remarkable.

Quite genuinely.

Again,

We are ALL different.

With different abilities and skill sets.

I do fear "the glamour" of swinging Tarzan like, from trees probably attracts those who do NOT actually possess the natural innate ability (WHICH CANNOT BE TAUGHT) into this particular trade.

regards

Marcus

PS

That honey climber video was excellent, when needs must innate ability comes to the fore.

Ah the humble gardener getting put down once again.:sneaky2:

Regarding the OP. Over the last few years my mind has changed regarding the way I go about my work. I used to just get stuck in and do what I was asked regardless of the risks. Looking back I have been in several positions that I really shouldn't have been placed in by employers.

Now that I am responsible for staff as well as an increase in my own training particularly on health and safety matters and meeting people from other industries and employers where these risks would just not be acceptable I am becoming very cautious in my own approach to work.

Never been one to listen to shop stewards but on one course the instructor had previously been one and was involved in H and S matters at the olympic park in London. He made some very valid points regarding conditions at work and the risks we take on a daily basis.

His calm approach and way of looking at work in general was a lesson in itself. Got me thinking about is it worth the risk?

If an experienced climber wasn't going to climb it then as an inexperienced climber I would have declined as well but I can understand the pressures involved on both sides.

Regarding the "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" type remarks that's all well and good for the ones that thrive on pressure and pushing themselves.

Some people just want to go to their jobs have a decent day taking pride in what they do and getting home in one piece. It doesn't make us slackers, scared or incompetent.

Oh give us a break from all the "noble savage" stuff. It's the sort of thing students say to impress girls at the university bar.

Spot on. :thumbup:

I don't know anything about climbing or particularly want to. But occasionally I may need to engage climbers - either personally or as part of contract management. If any of the 'noble savages' who seem to think there is an honour badge at stake here were identified to me they would be black listed from my catalogue as unsuitable contractors as their attitude to task safety would put me at risk professionally. I want people who are responsible - and know when to say 'stop' lets talk.

'Challenge climbing' as some seem to describe is for play time - not work time. I fully appreciate the satisfaction buzz etc after a difficult job and don't want to stop this, this is the mixed spice of a good work life.

I fully accept this is a 'social forum' and a lot of what is said is tongue in cheek. But believe me guys - the world of work has moved on. Talk of climbing practice centuries old is almost laughable. Hey we sent kids down mines and up chimneys then as well - perhaps we should go back? Put all your climbing gear in a box and scrap it - just in case someone thinks it is overkill.