Climbers disciplined for refusing tree

sawmonkey220

N:001_smile: - he grinned happily because he was the village idi:drool:t . And more likely because the equipment wasn't paid for out of his pocket. Pity the next poor sod to use the same equipment - or (do tell...) was he responsible enough to check all the seals after his jolly shock loading capers?

Do you watch your neighbour doing a job, shaking you head, sucking your teeth and saying "Oh you don't want to do it like that" ????:001_rolleyes::lol:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus - you are right about me missing the o/o status, but do us all a favour and name him because I am sure people on here don't want to buy any used equipment from him (which is where it will go if he keeps on 'enjoying himself').

Better still send us a pic next time and I'll circulate around so we can all laugh at his antics. Here are a few more for a chuckle.. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QNPLpBh9o[/ame]

Steve

Marcus - you are right about me missing the o/o status, but do us all a favour and name him because I am sure people on here don't want to buy any used equipment from him (which is where it will go if he keeps on 'enjoying himself').

Better still send us a pic next time and I'll circulate around so we can all laugh at his antics. Here are a few more for a chuckle.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QNPLpBh9o

Steve

Maybe he was a Russian, they seem quite special although the guys onboard the yacht in your vid were 'missing' a certain something....

Do you watch your neighbour doing a job, shaking you head, sucking your teeth and saying "Oh you don't want to do it like that" ????:001_rolleyes::lol:

Skyhuck, me thinks I could retort with a couple of stereotypical remarks here but judging by the notches on your big chopper I guess it would be plain stupid of me to assume I know something you when clearly I don't. If you want to talk seriously about H&S I'll be happy to oblige. The OP wanted some advice on a situation, I gave it. The rest - they say, is banter. But I did mind my p's and q's....

Apart from A clearly unsafe tree to climb aside (which are very few and far between), why is it deemed safer to use a mewp, than climb???

They are just quicker in some instances and make life easier NOT safer imo ..I personally am not comfortable in them . Big trees with large crowns no high anchor they are a godsend for most climbers I would think .

with the greatest respect - you ain't seen nuffin, and you sure as hell don't know about SWL, axle and or leg load point, NDT investigations, safe working envelope or any number of other criticalities I could list. Ah bin around bin trucks and ah bin around cranes - and ah bin around hengineerin to know when someone is seriously _____ up a piece of equipment.

cough cough, as a final year failed Civil Engineer, I might just be aware of ALL of that list above.:001_rolleyes:

NDT=non destructive testing

SWL = safe weight laden (with absolutly STUIPDLY high FOS built in, to be sure, to be very very very sure)

PLUS

Factors 0f Safety, for each component, generally multiple of integers, to allow for the stupid and inept.:lol:

The Stuipd(or more correctly cognatively challenged) and Inept are frequently employed driving/operating Bin Lorries and on Construction sites (just watch youtube, it is RARELY the equipment that fails?)

Despite undertaking some apparently "stuipd" and potentially hazardous operations, by myself, no one else in the slightest danger, I still got both eyes ears arms legs AND all digits are complete and undamaged.

So:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Edited by difflock

The OP asked; My question is how the employees right to refuse dangerous work tasks , under the Health and safety Act applies in the tree industry? Simple answer is yes they do have that right irrespective of pay, contract type, qualification etc etc. The rest, they say is history and individual circumstance that could only be assessed by those who were there.

Forget about highly skilled , MEWP or other risk control measures - everyone has the right to refuse work on the grounds of H&S and they are (rigorously) protected from employers threat or intimidation.

My simple advice to the employers on here is to think carefully how you respond to any refusal to work on grounds of safety or any intimidation (even that which we might call banter) to work unsafely.

If it goes pear shaped I start charging the higher rate for consultancy.......

Steve, your job is gold plated for life

If in any doubt

Dont.

No thinking required.

PS

Our recent COSHH statements state that barrier cream is flammable and recommend wearing gloves while applying.

I do understand, you understand, a H&S Officer had a hand in the prep of this document.

Pun intended.