Routers

jamesd

I needed a router about 10yrs ago when cash was very tight (everything was tied up in the house which I was renovating, hence needing the router - catch 22 situation), so I bought a really cheap one - Blackspur I think. I still have it, it has done a reasonable amount of work - nothing like professional use but I don't feel it owes me anything and everything about it is solid, just basic.

The only down side to it is that it has an 8mm collet. In future I would buy a 1/2" - 8mm has worked OK but the range of bits is more limited which has been a bit restrictive.

I like Trend bits - very good range and quality has been excellent.

Alec

Thanks for the information, i think blackspur is no longer available unfortunately as a cheepish router, but new may be a good option for me as it won't be used a huge amount of the time. Also with second hand units although it may be a good router you don't know what abuse it has been given by the previous owner. (unless you know the old owner!!!)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first router was ryobi lasted me 4 years with no problems at all. Now I have a Makita palm and a bigger Makita one, both I've had for a while and lasting well. Will be looking into trend next maybe , fest tool would be nice but way to expensive.

What was the palm one like? been looking at a bosch one seems quite good and not overly expensive, although is it only good for small jobs?

Cheers for the information guys, decided its best to try and get a 1/2" version then.

The dewalts and makitas are upwards of £300 pounds new which is a bit steep for me. Apart from the Bay where is is a good place to look for second hand units?

Dewalt Dw625ek 240v 2,000w 1/4 & 1/2 Inch Router With Case, DEW625EK at D&M Tools

this is my one at £239 its a steal, i think they were high 400s when they came out