Can anyone please help with this serious accident?

Noggin1988

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but they found a way in Sheffield...

LAs are too busy blaming central government funding for their inability to operate within a budget to focus on additional tasking! (It's a gold plated excuse for poor management.)

Joe Public is more likely to get the jitters and flash up the B&Q saw with headlines like this from the BBC:

Storm Doris: Woman killed as UK hit by winds reaching 94mph - BBC News

As described by Ball & Ball-King in Public Safety and Risk Assessment – Improving Decision Making (2011), "...exposure to a memorable accident either directly or indirectly through a recent news story may lead to an inclination to rate the probability of a recurrence as higher than it actually is..."

BBC headline "woman killed" accompanied by a picture of a fallen tree which is completely unrelated to the woman's death. Notably, there is also a crushed car in the picture! Misguided tree-related media sensationalism likely to result in a purge of roadside trees rather than cars?

Wouldn't the simple thing be, to build public transport vehicles a bit tougher? You'd think with the materials available today one could retrofit a low profile reinforcement over the cab. All kinds of crumple zones to protect against front and side impacts but nothing on top?

Is this a poorly thought out joke

Not a joke guys, and it happens more than you'd think. Double deckers are especially at risk of hitting sagging branches. A few decades ago no cars had air bags, crumple zones, ABS or seat belts. Nothing wrong with progress. Better to have the protection and not need it than the other. I bet the driver would agree with me.

One would think in areas like that to be extra careful and inspect more frequently compared to other lower risk zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

One would indeed Stefan - and perhaps they might if a "person" stood to be held liable rather than an "organisation" which will simply pass any costs of ineptitude / inadequacy on to the council tax payers of the area.

One would indeed Stefan - and perhaps they might if a "person" stood to be held liable rather than an "organisation" which will simply pass any costs of ineptitude / inadequacy on to the council tax payers of the area.

I pass so many dead trees beside roads, I don't find a positive attitude to remove them. Even 1 metre high stumps just beside roads is left. I for one am ready to tackle this safety hazard. Could it be the councils today got a very limited budget ? It's always a organisation to deal with when councils is involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk