Help With business plan

David_chainsaw

Thanks for that guys you guys are great and I thank you all for your help

Anyway i want to talk gear what would you guys say would be the most essensuals ? i have seen this saw but don't know what people would say about it as i just don't have the money for a stihl or husq

TIMBERPRO 20" 62cc Petrol Chainsaw - TIMBERPRO | The Best Petrol & Garden Chainsaws & Augers

I think it's far too cheap to be any good. To run a 20 inch bar a saw must be properly powerful I would have thought.

"Buy cheap buy twice" is a good lesson here I think.

Do you really need a 20 inch saw straight away?

Like I said early in thread I'm not a tree man but to start with a small saw must be safer etc and you aren't going to be cutting down Huge trees yet are you?

Just my thoughts

Richard

Thanks Steve, that's sort of input I am looking for

No worries - just need to keep it really simple and build from there. Start with promoting the most basic elements you can offer.... even if it's just with hand tools to start with.

eg, you could do a huge amount of work just using a Silky Saw and a pair of Fiskars loppers.... and you could cycle to jobs within a reasonable distance.

That would give you a good opportunity to take some excellent photos for the website.

Build from there.....

Silky saw link: Natanoko 60

Fiskars loppers: Fiskars loppers for tree pruning

Edited by SteveA

It's got to be said. David, give up! Your in a dream world.You've no tickets, no driving license, and from what you have posted not a pot to piss in. Go and get a Job!!

I'm sorry to sound harsh fella, but I can see this venture of yours ending in tears.

Giving up without trying is easy, its a lazy mans way out.

David, don't listen to this nay sayer.

OK so you have no tickets, when I started I didn't have any, mostly because they didn't exist back then but I would have gone for it anyway. Just put them at the top of your "to do" list for the sake of keeping legit, and because many customers will require it.

No driving licence? well he is on with that.

Ending in tears is sitting in your dotage regretting having never tried.

Thanks for that guys you guys are great and I thank you all for your help

Anyway i want to talk gear what would you guys say would be the most essensuals ? i have seen this saw but don't know what people would say about it as i just don't have the money for a stihl or husq

TIMBERPRO 20" 62cc Petrol Chainsaw - TIMBERPRO | The Best Petrol & Garden Chainsaws & Augers

Don't buy timber pro rubbish, when it breaks down, and that won't take long you won't be able to get bits for it. Best cheap saw for starting out would be a stihl 170 with a 14 inch bar. You can use it on the ground and when I started climbing I used to use mine in the tree instead of a topper. At least it makes you use two hands on the saw and makes you think about your cuts more.

It's got to be said. David, give up! Your in a dream world.You've no tickets, no driving license, and from what you have posted not a pot to piss in. Go and get a Job!!

I'm sorry to sound harsh fella, but I can see this venture of yours ending in tears.

Eggs has got a point.

If you try and start a tree business without experience you won't get far even with a great amount of enthusiasm as we can all see you've got.

My suggestion is if you can get a job or hire yourself out brash dragging for a tree surgeon then you will learn a lot by doing that. Get your tickets, and if you get your own work in the meantime that's a bonus.

Enthusiasm can sometimes get in the way of the goal, and cloud your judgement. Ignore the advice which tells you "You've got what it takes, you have loads of enthusiasm. That'll get you through!" Rubbish. Only route to success is sheer hard graft and knowing very clearly what you're trying to achieve.

Check your website - most of your services are words lifted from your competition. Please think about this as a customer rather than an enthusiastic beginner.

Why do you have a website when you can't yet deliver what you're offering? Slow down a bit. Stop and think carefully. Be more accepting of your current limitations.

Eggs is right here. I would GET MORE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE FIRST before going it alone.

You need to master your craft. Don't run before you can walk.

I've been in forestry and woodcraft since 1991 and am still bumping along with old gear and rusty trucks; but I'm truly happy doing it.

I know what you're saying, but I'm giving this 150% and I am going to start off with the small stuff and I know none of this is going to happen over night and I'm not selling in taking on work I can't do if the work is more than I can handle I will pass it on to other local businesses and maybe there do the same for me on smaller jobs they don't want to get into because it's not worth while for them. And for the website, it's just to see if I get any interest have to start somewhere and I'm still am willing to work with someone, but no one has been interested I have even offered to work for free!!!

Enthusiasm can sometimes get in the way of the goal, and cloud your judgement. Ignore the advice which tells you "You've got what it takes, you have loads of enthusiasm. That'll get you through!" Rubbish. Only route to success is sheer hard graft and knowing very clearly what you're trying to achieve.

Check your website - most of your services are words lifted from your competition. Please think about this as a customer rather than an enthusiastic beginner.

Why do you have a website when you can't yet deliver what you're offering? Slow down a bit. Stop and think carefully. Be more accepting of your current limitations.

Eggs is right here. I would GET MORE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE FIRST before going it alone.

You need to master your craft. Don't run before you can walk.

I've been in forestry and woodcraft since 1991 and am still bumping along with old gear and rusty trucks; but I'm truly happy doing it.

Yes I tend to agree, as I've said before on here to start ups DO NOT focus on tree work especially if you've no previous experience.

gardening although less jazzy is the way forward. Plenty of work, stick to grass cutting and weeding and it's easy and then easy to build a good business from it. It's also cheap to get insured and cheap to buy tools and cheap to operate.

You've got to mind with out experience your going to waste your limited money too and perhaps get hurt.....

That chainsaw you mentioned earlier... A crown reduction with that !!

It might be okay for two or three trees but it will take you an age and be knackered shortly after. Absolute waste of time and money.

If you want to include tree work in with your gardening then fine, but I'd suggest you find a pocket tree surgeon in your area you then price the job - get him in for £200pd and learn what you can off him whilst earning a chunk for yourself safely.

I always say to start ups that weeding although extremely tedious and soul destroying is a great spring board to better things.

A: it's cheap- doesn't cost you a thing (maybe a hoe or a three pronged thingy and a bucket)

B: everyone hates doing it- so the well established companies will have better things to do. Leaving a gap in the market.

C: money every two weeks- weeds and grass need maintained on the most part every couple of weeks so your wages can be made easily. ( no vying with competitors which are likely going to be more polished and kitted up than you) for the decent jobs which your unlikely to get.

Don't be afraid to be humble in business. It's not easy: unless you get handed a huge wad of cash and a full spec kit of forestry/tree surgery gear it's a bit pointless thinking the works going to flow through the door. (Clients rarely go for 'super cheap' when it's dangerous and perhaps their property is at stake)

Start small, think big, make money however you can..on start up I cleaned gutters, shifted copious amounts of dogs dirt and unblocked a few blocked drains and painted a few windows for customers- in time I got their trust and garden to look after, which includes trees, hedges, grass etc...

Tree cutting is a very crowded market place in business. The savvy business people look for the gaps and exploit them..

Don't be discouraged from what others have said, but don't discount it either.

Good luck it ain't easy..