the yank forums

cheddar

Me too have a lot of experience with chatting to the Yanks with ordering many parts for my yank tank ,what I have learnt is be short in what you have to say ie......we will put it,but ,no,to,for,and etc in a sentence but them will say .eck off lol .

Seriously the just keep the conversation blunt and straight to the point .

They hate the word Sorry too .

Ste

I don't know what sort of people you are talking to, or why you feel they need to be apologizing to you anyway, but I find this generalisation offensive. My wife has apologized to me at least 3 times in 14 years i'll have you know :biggrin:

Did you make a note in the diary each time 😁

I don't know what sort of people you are talking to, or why you feel they need to be apologizing to you anyway, but I find this generalisation offensive. My wife has apologized to me at least 3 times in 14 years i'll have you know :biggrin:

What I was trying to say was ,the 5 Trips I have made over the great pond I have found that when I am say queuing up in a shop and I am in the way I apologise and they look at me amused and say "there is no need to say SORRY"

AGAIN my grammar has let me down in another post .

STE

Having spoken too two Americans reasonably recently, about bandsawmills,

I found their reception staff to be very easily understood, helpful and clear.

Ditto the sales staff, esp at Baker Mills.

otoh

When I phoned Northern Bank card services about a stolen credit card, from France, in the early days of mobiles (ouch££££)

I was routed to a call centre somewhere in the Deep South, since;

(i) The dialict was almost indecipherable.

(ii) The woman who answered the Ph was as thick as 2 short planks, kept "telling" me I was Austrailian, and was converting from Aussie $ to French francs, cos Northern Bank, had recently been owned by the National Bank of Australia.

Despite repeated explanations about NI/ £stg etc etc, etc etc

I, only then, understood Basil Fawlty's sense of immense frustration!

Many years ago the act of saying sorry or excuse me or pardon me was very common place and acceptable behavior. At least in my parents home and in any social gatherings.

Regrettably weather it be in public or with even less privacy on line the number of social mal contents and half wits is really astonishing on any given day. I find AT to be a refreshing change to what I have seen and read on line as far as American forums are concerned. Today's culture in the USA deems words like sorry or excuse me or pardon me as foreign words or phrases. I like the one when I am at a show in the states and folks will come up to me and say, I bet your from the north east?, I do have to agree and continue my pitch since I am on the job. What was even more humorous last APF was several visitors that stopped by to see the Easy-Lift Harness actually though I was from either Australia or NZ. I did assure them that I was American and that was fine, although one gentalman did think I was Canadian and I guess the expression on my face made him imedlatley say he was sorry!. We both had a good laugh at that point after I assured him I would not hold his opinion against him.

easy-lift guy

I fequent a couple of American sites. Really like the difference between there and here. There is a wealth of information over there so do tend to lurk there more than here but that is probably my failing rather than the forums. The splicing pages over at Treebuzz and Treehouse are slightly larger than ours/have been going for longer so there is normally answers to questions that become handy when you know where to look. Any information is good IMO, doens't matter where it comes from as long as its right!!

None of my (English) wives have ever apologised to me. I now accept that I'm always wrong and life is so much quieter.:001_rolleyes: