Working neglected woodland

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Say what you want about the impact on quality of woods they have but woodlands.co.uk have a tasty business model. I'll be amazed if they're not trying it all over the developed world (now or soon).

Well, its got to be a lot easier than trying to make an income from the wood I would think.

Once when I had no budget to add to a woodland project I asked a local woodland owner if I could trek his wood and dig out a few seedlings, holly, field maples and similar, even small stock to grow on.

It helps if you offer to pick up any litter, add a few nest boxes, clear a problem; makes it a win for both parties.

Once when I had no budget to add to a woodland project I asked a local woodland owner if I could trek his wood and dig out a few seedlings, holly, field maples and similar, even small stock to grow on.

It helps if you offer to pick up any litter, add a few nest boxes, clear a problem; makes it a win for both parties.

Good idea Fergus,

In fact I have a few saplings growing around my woodpile where the magpies have been burying acorns. I could move those :thumbup: There are also some other woods that adjoin mine so something may be possible.

Since making some images of the wood yesterday I've begun to think that maybe its not as neglected or overgrown as I'd initially thought. That seems to be the impression I'm getting from arbtalkers too. Interestingly the experience of walking around with a camera also made me realise that its much more open than I'd thought. Some of that, I think, could be down to spending very little time in the wood in the winter. Its a very different place in summer, when the nettles and undergrowth give the feeling that its really 'got away'.

Here are some more pics. Part of the reason that I thought it was very neglected was because of the 'leylandi'. I'm hoping that two of the three pics below show that well, (sorry about the poor lighting). The native species that are close to the leylandi are on the North side of it, so receive little sun. The other image is of some dead saplings. There are quite a few of these around but I'm not sure what species they are?

Two_Acres_0275.jpg.e8eb11760887d0f849e3aff601f61999.jpg

Two_Acres_0271.jpg.68f258f8365586d4878400af3fd2ae09.jpg

Two_Acres_0074.jpg.45296825e60eb617641202a6f3ba4feb.jpg