The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

Even if the dodgy dealer was getting £50 for every tonne bag he would need to sell over 200 bags before he has any tax liability whatsoever thanks to the high tax personal allowances. If the wood in the bag cost him £25 a bag then he could sell 400 bags without the need to pay any tax whatsoever.

Assuming of course that he has no other income. :001_smile:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF you are so unhappy with the current state of affairs in the firewood industry and what others are doing why don't you try something else you can go on moaning forever its never going to change there will always be the beer money people we have them down hear if you are selling a good product people will always come back ,you are not the only one down on takings this year we are down 50% on last year you just have to take the rough with the smooth.

thats the attitude which means nothing will change, you can make it hard for the beer money guys instead of sitting back with this apathetic attitude.

thats the attitude which means nothing will change, you can make it hard for the beer money guys instead of sitting back with this apathetic attitude.

I'll try again.... Appreciate you're getting some grief but you still haven't answered my question. You either know they're fiddling and would like to report it or you just have a feeling they are and would like to report it.

One of those options could bring unnecessary grief on top of a perfectly law abiding citizen (who would have nothing to fear other than the hassle involved in an investigation) Which is it please?

I'll try again.... Appreciate you're getting some grief but you still haven't answered my question. You either know they're fiddling and would like to report it or you just have a feeling they are and would like to report it.

One of those options could bring unnecessary grief on top of a perfectly law abiding citizen (who would have nothing to fear other than the hassle involved in an investigation) Which is it please?

you make your own mind up depends what you see and hear what I might decide makes me think someone is on the fiddle isn't necessarily what you would think and vice versa. in some cases they will tell you if you happen to speak to them a lot of people think it's quite acceptable, just look at the posts today because I suggested people should consider it.

you make your own mind up depends what you see and hear what I might decide makes me think someone is on the fiddle isn't necessarily what you would think and vice versa. in some cases they will tell you if you happen to speak to them a lot of people think it's quite acceptable, just look at the posts today because I suggested people should consider it.

In all fairness you made the initial comment and I have no idea of the circumstances hence why I asked you.

I've neither suggested you should or should not do anything merely asked for any facts you may have. No disrespect but it doesn't appear you have any and would be the main thing stopping me if I were in your position.

In all fairness you made the initial comment and I have no idea of the circumstances hence why I asked you.

I've neither suggested you should or should not do anything merely asked for any facts you may have. No disrespect but it doesn't appear you have any and would be the main thing stopping me if I were in your position.

you don't need facts if you choose to you can report suspicion about everyone it's HMRC who will find the facts. it's down to your conscience I personally would only report people I was certain were doing it and as the couple of people I know were evading have stopped with logs I don't have to all I said was I've reached my limit for ignoring it because it's impacting my sales in a big way now.

Problem is logs are ideal for anyone on jobseekers. Have 48 weeks sat on backside for £65 a week so £3k earned in year then go self employed for 4 weeks and earn 7k selling 140 tonne bags at £50. Seasonal trade so can justify signing back on again plus gets you brownie points for not being long term unemployed.

you don't need facts if you choose to you can report suspicion about everyone it's HMRC who will find the facts. it's down to your conscience I personally would only report people I was certain were doing it and as the couple of people I know were evading have stopped with logs I don't have to all I said was I've reached my limit for ignoring it because it's impacting my sales in a big way now.

I know you don't NEED facts, I asked if you had any.

How can you be certain (your word) if you don't have facts? You either know or you don't and if you don't know you're reporting someone on suspicion alone based on them doing something you're not happy about and may be perfectly legal.

I'll leave it with you now.

Most of the beer money people near us soon get pissed off with logs because the have an chainsaw and axe, they are depending on wood that they get from farmers for free and they don't like hard work , people only buy cheap wet wood once so no repeat orders.

What you should bear in mind are the repercussions from reporting these people ,looking at your website you have quite a lot off good machinery and these type off people will have no qualms regarding damaging stuff in the long run it could cost you a lot more that a few lost log sales.