The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

Annecdote to illustrate the difficulty with firewood customers in this country:

I used to have a firewood customer until last year - closest house to the yard (only a few hundred metres away). Big open fire, liked 18" logs and chunky. Happy for a while, then got picky on species, insisting on non spitty hardwoods. I tried to promote the purchase of a stove (they use a lot of wood), but to no avail.

A year elapses, I've got a good stock of oak cord in the yard at the moment, and I offered them the chance to prebuy for next winter at a substantially reduced rate. So basically, they buy it now, it sits in crates until they need it, I deliver it and they have a guaranteed source of Oak (which is what they want).

Nope, not interested, can't think that far ahead (their words). The money isn't an issue (they have a chiropractic practice), they just don't want to take responsibility for their own supply.

As I only usually produce firewood as a byproduct of milling (it's not as pretty as normal firewood), I've no real need to sell it. It's sold cheap, take it or leave it. Most firewood customers are idiots, hard to change that.

it seems to be a thing with Scots folk not to buy early, we have tried to get people to buy in the spring and there are only a handful do it, the rest prefer to wait until Oct/Nov and then tell you the logs are wet because it was pouring rain when you delivered. last year we sent out 6-700 fliers to our customers offering 40% discount we sold 7 bags.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems to be a thing with Scots folk not to buy early, we have tried to get people to buy in the spring and there are only a handful do it, the rest prefer to wait until Oct/Nov and then tell you the logs are wet because it was pouring rain when you delivered. last year we sent out 6-700 fliers to our customers offering 40% discount we sold 7 bags.

Seems daft really. The weather at this time of year can be very difficult. I'd be wanting to get my firewood into my store in summer so that I know it's dry when I need it. Getting one cube at a time in mid winter is madness.

Seems daft really. The weather at this time of year can be very difficult. I'd be wanting to get my firewood into my store in summer so that I know it's dry when I need it. Getting one cube at a time in mid winter is madness.

One of the things that killed my log business was lack of storage. Customers will not invest in logs when they have to pay off the credit card from Christmas. The other things that killed my log business were lack of wood,lack of money, lack of customers, lack of good kit and a bad back :biggrin: it was never going to work was it

Given all the reforms we keep getting told about I don't understand why we don't go back to way we did education 40 years ago, seemed to work well and be ahead of rest of world.

I've had graduates join company and their standard of basic English is shocking, the foreigners we deal with can speak and write English better as their second or third language.

:thumbup1:

Most people are idiots I reckon. Average UK IQ had plummeted since 1950's.

Given all the reforms we keep getting told about I don't understand why we don't go back to way we did education 40 years ago, seemed to work well and be ahead of rest of world.

I've had graduates join company and their standard of basic English is shocking, the foreigners we deal with can speak and write English better as their second or third language.

[ame=

]
[/ame]