4 wheel drive and diffs on Isuzu Dmax

Woodworks

Anyone shed any light on using a Dmax in 4 wheel drive high or low on road.

Used it off road and the steering becomes heavy and tyres tare up the ground when cornering so I presume the diff is not that smart. Is using it in 4 wheel drive going to wear out the tyres fast and put extra loads on the transmission?

Sorry I am not very clued up on these things and the dealer is next to useless for mechanical questions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How meany diff locks have you got ?

If you have 3 diff locks 1 in gearbox & 1 in each axel that's why your steering seems heavy and it's why your tearing the ground up when turning this is normal

But you may have 1 diff lock in rear axel and an LSD ( limited slip diff ) in the front

You best bet it to only engage theses when needed

Some times after use you will need to turn them off then reverse back a few feet to disengage them

Running in normal 4x4 will not where your tyres out and won't cost you much more to run

Your doing the right thing by trying out you truck

My Isuzu is exactly the same at tearing up the ground in 4 x 4 I only use it when needed. You need to use it now and again or when you go in to low box there is an electric switch on the vehicle that get stuck then you can't he out of low box happened to me 3 miles off the beaten track in late evening .

If you use 4 high on the road it will scuff the front tyres

Surely you can have the truck in 4x4 without the diffs being locked (just like a landrover is as standard) which would be fine on the road...

Is there an option on these trucks to be in 4x4 and in low ratio whilst on the road and not have the diffs locked- for example if you had to tow 3.5t up a hill.

No, no and no. Very basic four wheel drive. Use it on road at risk to your propshafts and diffs!

No, no and no. Very basic four wheel drive. Use it on road at risk to your propshafts and diffs!

wow, im surprised a truck is rated to tow 3.5t if you can't be in 4x4 on the road- I assume they are rear wheel drive when in 2x4? This would provide minimal traction towing on the hills unless you had the truck bed filled up too (which would then put you over the GTW).

The trouble is it's such a poor light on the dash that it's easy to forget you are in 4high in the days of a good old leaver it was noticeable when in or not

Mine gets used on the road in 4 accidentley quite regularly and seems ok so far

It also dosnt have separate 4wd and diff lock so I assume some kind of traction control?

Sounds like I should keep using as it as I have done. Keep in 2 as much as possible and only use the 4wd as an when needed.

Had a chat with a mate with a Ranger today and tackled him on the subject. Complained of the same issue and came to the same conclusion on driving style.

Quote from Stubby "Yep . I understood it and its quit impressive . No mention of the regeneration cycle of the DPF then "

Care to share what is impressive?

Read about the DPF issues and was nervous as I do a fair few short trips but no problems with it to date.