Do you store your wood in a shed or outside?

cessna

As it's not at our yard we have had to invest in another forklift a little counterbalance, it's really surprised me how good it is.

It's often been remarked upon that it's surprising that I do everything I do with a little counterbalance forklift, but it's a fantastic bit of kit. I have a little Nissan that is supposed to lift 2.5t, but infact lifts 3.8t (that was an oak log that came off the lorry with a weight ticket). It's massively maneuverable and it means I can stack sawn timber in tight barns. That said, I have expanded the yard, much of which is too soft for it's solid wheels, so I've got an old JCB Climax with 4wd coming in the New Year.

On the topic of wood, I don't sell much firewood, but I keep it all outside and not under cover until September at which point it's sorted according to dryness and put in one of the barns (it's stored in crates). This dry stock stays very dry over winter and as I produce more over winter, it's left in crates stacked outside and not under cover. It's not going to dry quickly, but it will still start drying.

Then, once I have space in the barn again, it gets put it. It's hard keeping up with the production from the mill sometimes - two days cutting this week (hardwood mantle pieces and douglas fir for cladding) has left me with a stack of offcuts that will produce 7-8 cubic metres of firewood.

Problem is people moan about having bought wet firewood from someone else, but still buy on price.

In other words they go for the cheapest supplier and get bitten time after time.

You go to all the trouble if renting or buying land, putting up sheds, getting in pallets to raise the floor and then sit there till all the crap wood has sold before you start selling yours.

Luckily now I have built up a customer base over the years who know my logs are dry and are good value for money, but it's taken well over a decade to get to that stage.

You just get sick of explaining to new enquirers why your logs are ever so slightly dearer than others

Problem is people moan about having bought wet firewood from someone else, but still buy on price.

In other words they go for the cheapest supplier and get bitten time after time.

You go to all the trouble if renting or buying land, putting up sheds, getting in pallets to raise the floor and then sit there till all the crap wood has sold before you start selling yours.

Luckily now I have built up a customer base over the years who know my logs are dry and are good value for money, but it's taken well over a decade to get to that stage.

You just get sick of explaining to new enquirers why your logs are ever so slightly dearer than others

HI DEAN MY MATE your RIGHT there i had one customer ring up and told her they were seasoned she said im not worried about i can DRY THEM NEXT TO THE STOVE MY OLD MY :lol::lol::lol:IM NOT INTERSTED:lol: IN PEOPLE LIKE THIS ON YOUR WAY THANKS JON :thumbup:

Glad Im not the only one with man flu Jon, hope you get better soon bud.

Outside and in a polytunnel, wet stuff stays outside for the wind to dry in the winter and all the dry stuff is kept in the polytunnel to sell.

HI SAM THERES loads of FLU AROUND:lol: MATE off shopping for mrs xmas thanks jon :thumbup: