How many of you sharpen a new chain?

18 stoner

I can sharpen freehand no problem but choose not to, it's ok for a quick tickle but the accuracy is simply not there if you are removing a lot of material free hand.

If you magnified to cutting edge you would see the difference, afterall, the chrome plate is the cutting edge which is microns thick and filing free hand is not accurate to the odd micron or two

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that grinders ruin chains, but have never found them actually sharper than when straight out of the box (Stihl chain). New chains must be manufactured by a cutting process rather than a grinding one, surely?

I am amazed by the amount of people who simply can't sharpen or who use the wrong size file! I always use a vice, usually on site (stump vice) and a file guide. I've always found sharpening easy, but I was always pretty anal about it.

Here's a tip.

You know those knackered old chains that you hang up in your workshop muttering about 'using it as a stump chain'? THROW THEM OUT! They're knackered! You will never use them again! Deal with it!

I am amazed by the amount of people who simply can't sharpen or who use the wrong size file! I always use a vice, usually on site (stump vice) and a file guide. I've always found sharpening easy, but I was always pretty anal about it.

That Marc, was the whole reason why i started the thread!

Some people think a new chain is as sharp as it can ever be and others really dont care!

I really think its a poor thing that there is much talk of regulation, technique and stuff like whos climbed or felled the biggest tree, but very few know how to sharpen a chain to perfection!

Perhaps some of us should look at more advanced maintainence methods to produce more efficient and safe practice. There only ever seems to be basic standard training on such though.

sorry! A little off talk Im just sick of filling chains ! just bought a sthil chain grinder 10 years old perfect nick just dont have a clue how to use one anybody any tips ! please any tips ! thanks a mil !

Hi, go on youtube and type in Oregon chain grinder, there you will find a very good instructional step by step how to you a chain grinder.

Does anyone use the roller guides on sthil chain

From what ive been told, they are probably the most accurate aid there is Bob, not used one myself, but you still need a certain amount of skill to keep the angles correct. Good for depth control though.